Newton's laws of motion help

In summary, the problem was pretty simple, but according to the book, I get the wrong answer. I think I might be approching the problem wrong.
Swigs
The problem was pretty simple i thought, but according to the book i get the wrong answer. I think i might be approching the problem wrong.

"In the drawing, the weight of the block on the table(block1) is 422N and that of the hanging block(block2) is 185N. Ignoring all frictional effects and assuming the pulley to be massless, find (a) the acceleration of the two blocks and (b) the tension in the cord."

o-----------Block1
I
I
I
Block2

(excuse my poor excuse for trying to draw with letters)

What I did was since we know that block2 is 185N, I thought that would be the only force acting on Block1, science it is frictionless. And they would have the same accelration since they are connected so i set up an equation like this Fx=185=m1a = a=4.3m/s^2. But this is wrong, and I know i set it up wrong.......

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on the system- that is both blocks 1 and 2- is the gravitational pull which is 185 N. The hanging block cannot move without pulling the other block after it- that's why I call it a "system". F= ma with F= 185 N and m= the mass of both blocks: (185+422)/g kg. (notice the "/g" to change weight to mass!).
F= ma becomes 185= (607/g)a so a= 0.305g.

Now look at the two blocks separately. Block 2 has mass 185/g kg. Since it has accelerating at 0.305g, the total force must be
(185/g)(0.305g)= 56.4 N. That's a lot less than it's weight! What happened? Block 2 is pulling back on it with force 185- 56.4= 126.6N.
Block 1 has mass 422/g kg. Since it is accelerating at 0.305g, the force on it must be (422/g)(0.305g)= 128.6 N. That should be no surprise: every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Block 1 is pulling back on block 2 and block 2 is pulling forward on block 1 with exactly the same force. And that 128.6 N is, of course, the tension in the rope.

Thankyou very much, HallsofIvy. that helped alot.

1. What are Newton's laws of motion?

Newton's laws of motion are three fundamental principles that describe how objects move in the physical world. These laws were developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century and are still used today to understand and predict the motion of objects.

2. What is the first law of motion?

The first law of motion, also known as the law of inertia, states that an object at rest will remain at rest and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

3. How does the second law of motion explain acceleration?

The second law of motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Conversely, the more massive an object is, the less it will accelerate under the same force.

4. What is the third law of motion?

The third law of motion, also known as the law of action and reaction, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when one object exerts a force on another object, the second object exerts an equal and opposite force back on the first object.

5. How can Newton's laws of motion be applied in everyday life?

Newton's laws of motion can be applied in many everyday situations, such as driving a car, playing sports, or riding a bicycle. For example, the first law explains why you feel a jolt when a car suddenly stops, the second law helps us understand how much force is needed to kick a soccer ball, and the third law explains why you feel a recoil when shooting a gun.