Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Notification for Subscribed Threads

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
Hi everyone, :)

I was thinking that it would be a neat feature if we can get on-site notifications whenever someone responds to a thread we have subscribed. I know that whenever a reply is posted an email is sent by default but what I am suggesting is a notification like the number of thanks that appears on the top right under notifications. For example the number of subscribed threads that new replies had been posted since the last visit appears in addition to the number of thanks under the notifications section.

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
It's not exactly notification, but if you click the "New Posts" link below the Forums tab on top, you are obviously taken to the list of posts. The new ones since your last visit are above the line saying "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts". The threads you are subscribed to have a green arrow on the icon with the envelope. This way you can see at a glance which subscribed threads have new responses. Of course, there are probably many threads with new posts to which you are not subscribed, but currently if you visit the forum once a say, all new threads are usually shown on one screen, so you don't have to go through several pages. Sigh, when will this forum become popular so that new threads won't fit into one screen?

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Like Evgeny, I keep up with new posts/threads by using the "New Posts" search on our navbar. This way I can see in one listing all the posting activity that has taken place since I was last online, and which threads contain replies from me.

It is likely that adding new replies to subscribed threads to our notifications system could be done, and if there is enough user demand for this, I would be happy to look into coding such a feature. :D

Sudharaka

MHB Math Helper
Feb 5, 2012
It's not exactly notification, but if you click the "New Posts" link below the Forums tab on top, you are obviously taken to the list of posts. The new ones since your last visit are above the line saying "The threads below have not been updated since your last visit but still contain unread posts". The threads you are subscribed to have a green arrow on the icon with the envelope. This way you can see at a glance which subscribed threads have new responses. Of course, there are probably many threads with new posts to which you are not subscribed, but currently if you visit the forum once a say, all new threads are usually shown on one screen, so you don't have to go through several pages. Sigh, when will this forum become popular so that new threads won't fit into one screen?
Yep, that's correct. I use this method most of the time. :)

The reason for bringing this issue was that I just felt since we have notifications for thanks why not notifications for new posts in subscribed threads as well? I mean new posts in a subscribed thread is probably as equally important if not more as the thanks notifications right. :)