Notes and soundwaves and periodic functions and algebra

In summary, the conversation is about finding the sound waves for thirds in music, using radians. The formula for c is sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t) and the formula for e is sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t. The speaker is unsure if adding these formulas is the correct way to find the sound wave for chords and is also unsure how to simplify expressions with sin. The expert responds that there is no way to simplify the addition of two sine curves and suggests double checking the given frequencies for accuracy.
brandy
this has to do with music and notes and soundwaves and stuff
i have to find out the sound waves for thirds (eg c and e or d and f or e and g... u get the picture). its in radians by the way. i figured id worked out the formula for c and the formila for e and just add them but I am not sure that is how u work out the soundwave for chords. and i also don't know how to simplify stuff with sin.
sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t is the formula for c. sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t is the formula for e.
t=time and so on a graph its x
now that leaves me with (sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t)+sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t. so i took a stab in the dark even though i knew this would be wrong (which it is) and said it equals sin(3025^(-1)*pi*2^^(-7/12)*t). help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

It's not really possible to simplify the addition of two sine curves, except perhaps under special circumstances. So you would just leave it as

sin(32*pi*440^(-1)*t) + sin(220^(-1)*pi*2^(-7/12)*t)

However, I'm not quite sure these are correct, that is the numbers being used here. You might want to double check on that.

so thers no way of writting that in a simpler form?

and also the figures may be off because the initial frequencys were given and may not be acurate.

brandy said:
so thers no way of writting that in a simpler form?

No, there isn't.

and also the figures may be off because the initial frequencys were given and may not be acurate.

Okay.

Related to Notes and soundwaves and periodic functions and algebra

1. What are notes and soundwaves?

Notes are musical tones produced by a specific frequency of sound. Soundwaves are vibrations that travel through a medium, such as air, and allow us to hear these musical notes.

2. How are notes and soundwaves related to periodic functions?

Periodic functions are mathematical representations of repeating patterns, such as soundwaves. Notes are created by the periodic vibrations of soundwaves, making them directly related to periodic functions.

3. What is the connection between algebra and notes and soundwaves?

Algebra can be used to represent and manipulate the frequencies and wavelengths of soundwaves, which in turn can be used to understand and create musical notes. Algebraic equations can also be used to analyze and predict the patterns of soundwaves and notes.

4. How do notes and soundwaves affect our perception of music?

Notes and soundwaves are the building blocks of music. The combination of different notes and the manipulation of soundwaves can create different emotions and experiences for the listener, making them a crucial aspect of musical perception.

5. Can understanding notes and soundwaves through algebra help in creating and producing music?

Yes, understanding the mathematical principles behind notes and soundwaves can be extremely helpful in creating and producing music. It allows for more precise control over the frequencies and patterns of soundwaves, resulting in a more intentional and complex musical composition.