NOTE Newtons laws does NOT seem to work here

In summary, the conversation discusses Newton's first law and its application in different situations. It is noted that the law does not seem to work in some cases, such as when an object stops moving at a constant speed. The conversation also brings up the topic of gravity and its effects on objects, including the tides and space walkers. It is mentioned that the strength of the gravitational force is proportional to the product of the two masses, and this explains why the moon's influence on the tides is greater than its influence on smaller objects like astronauts. Overall, the conversation highlights the complexities of Newton's first law and how it applies in different scenarios.
waynexk8
NOTE Newtons first law does NOT seem to work here, at the object does NOT keep moving at a constant speed, it actually stops.

Am I missing somthing ?

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't stop.

waynexk8 said:
NOTE Newtons first law does NOT seem to work here, at the object does NOT keep moving at a constant speed, it actually stops.

Am I missing somthing ?

Wayne

It don't seem to stop when I watch it.
EDIT: Darn, beaten.

waynexk8 said:
What exactly are you talking about?

waynexk8 said:

Am I missing somthing ?

Wayne

Yes you are missing gravity. If I'm sitting on the space station and push some object towards earth, it will come back up again later on. If the space station has a circular orbit, the thrown object will have an elliptic orbit. Sometimes closer to earth, sometimes farther away. So it will move up and down relatively to me.

Torquil

Looking at it again, I suppose there is not enough evidence in the video. But it looks like to me that its either slowing down or stopped and just rotating, or even going if anything in another direction.

Wayne

torquil said:
Yes you are missing gravity. If I'm sitting on the space station and push some object towards earth, it will come back up again later on. If the space station has a circular orbit, the thrown object will have an elliptic orbit. Sometimes closer to earth, sometimes farther away. So it will move up and down relatively to me.

Torquil

K thx.

Ok, if the Moon can move the tides, and they must weigh Billions of tones, why does it not move far lighter things on this Earth and things like space walkers ?

Wayne

waynexk8 said:
K thx.

Ok, if the Moon can move the tides, and they must weigh Billions of tones, why does it not move far lighter things on this Earth and things like space walkers ?

Wayne

The moon does influence the movement of space walkers.

Also, its gravitational field acts on every object on Earth the same. The difference between its influence on land and water is that land is rigid and water is not. The water is able to flow, and therefore the effect of the lunar influence is different.

EDIT: I'm not saying that the strength of the gravity from the moon is the same all over the earth, of course. See post #9 for the explanation of the tides.

Remember, the gravitational force between two objects is proportional to the product of the two masses, so the force acting on the billion of tonnes of water is proportionally larger.

Torquil

The moon affects the tides by an uneven pull between the areas of the Earth closer to the moon and the areas of the Earth farther from the moon. An astronaut, being small, does not feel this difference in pull appreciably; he feels more or less the same force throughout his entire body.

torquil said:
The moon does influence the movement of space walkers.

Also, its gravitational field acts on every object on Earth the same. The difference between its influence on land and water is that land is rigid and water is not. The water is able to flow, and therefore the effect of the lunar influence is different.

Remember, the gravitational force between two objects is proportional to the product of the two masses, so the force acting on the billion of tonnes of water is proportionally larger.

Torquil

Ahh,the gravitational force between two objects is proportional to the product of the two masses.

Great get it.

Wayne

Matterwave said:
The moon affects the tides by an uneven pull between the areas of the Earth closer to the moon and the areas of the Earth farther from the moon. An astronaut, being small, does not feel this difference in pull appreciably; he feels more or less the same force throughout his entire body.

K thx.

And thanks to all.

Wayne

Related to NOTE Newtons laws does NOT seem to work here

1. What are Newton's Laws and why do they not seem to work here?

Newton's Laws of Motion are three physical laws that describe the relationship between an object's motion and the forces acting upon it. These laws are based on classical mechanics and typically apply to macroscopic objects. However, they may not accurately describe motion at the atomic or subatomic level, where quantum mechanics principles are necessary.

2. Can you provide an example of where Newton's Laws do not seem to work?

One example of where Newton's Laws may not accurately describe motion is at the quantum level, specifically in the behavior of particles such as electrons. These particles exhibit wave-like properties and do not always follow the laws of classical mechanics.

3. How do scientists explain motion at the atomic or subatomic level without using Newton's Laws?

Scientists use the principles of quantum mechanics to explain motion at the atomic and subatomic level. These principles take into account the wave-like nature of particles and the uncertainty of their position and velocity.

4. Can Newton's Laws be applied to all types of motion?

No, Newton's Laws are only applicable to certain types of motion. They are most accurate for objects moving at low speeds and on a macroscopic scale. In situations where there are extreme speeds or particles with wave-like properties, other principles and laws must be used.

5. Are Newton's Laws still important in the field of physics despite their limitations?

Yes, Newton's Laws are still considered fundamental principles in the field of physics and are crucial for understanding motion in many everyday situations. While they may not accurately describe all types of motion, they provide a solid foundation for further developments in physics and continue to be a valuable tool for scientists and engineers.