Not your average car collision (very real life ) - no values supplied

In summary: He has been given information regarding the condition of each car before and after the collision, including the tyre tread and the state of the drivers. The cars involved are Car A (m = 1,495 kg) and Car B (m = 887kg). Car B skids for 11.38m and comes to a stop in the middle of an intersection, while Car A essentially T-bones Car B after skidding for 14.5m. The speed limit for the road is 13.88m/s (50kph), but there is no given value for velocity. Witness statements suggest that Car A may have been traveling faster than the speed limit. After the
kjf123
Not your average car collision (very "real life") - no values supplied

Homework Statement

Hi,
I've been given an assignment on a theoretical car collision. However, it is very "real world" (we are given information regarding the condition of each car before and after [particularly the tyre tread -> coefficient of friction?], and the state of the drivers [reaction time?]).

Here's the general run down:

Car B (m = 887kg) skids for 11.38m and comes to a stop in the middle of an intersection.

Car A (m = 1,495 kg) essentially T-bones Car B. He does slam on his brakes and the skid mark from applying brakes to hitting Car B are 14.5m long.

The speed limit for the road is 13.88m/s (50kph). Here is where it gets tricky. We are not given any value for velocity. There are witness statements that think this guy has gone faster than the speed limit.

Car B (assumed no brakes applied) is pushed in a curved line... but I am going to only use the distance between the first point on the curve and the last = 2.935m (so a straight line). As a result of figuring out this straight line it occurs at an angle of 45deg.

Car A then continues onwards without its brakes applied and comes to rest after a distance of 17.419m.

Homework Equations

Using http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/images/astp3.gif I figured out the stopping distance of the car at any given speed.

From that I calculated acceleration (will this be constant regardless of speed?)

From calculating the acceleration (deceleration) I found out how long it took for him to travel the 14.5m, which in turn gave me a value for his velocity upon hitting the car.

Assuming what I have done is correct, I have no idea how to apply these numbers to the situation DURING and AFTER the collision?

The Attempt at a Solution

I just don't know how to tackle this problem. This was assigned while learning our Momentum module.
So, the end goal is to work out as many mechanical/physical properties of both cars before, during, and after the collision.

Please note that I am not after an easy answer here. Just some guidance would be really helpful. Especially comment on my derivation of acceleration of his car.

I can upload the PDF file of the assignment if it makes the picture clearer. The diagram used, however, is not to scale and not a very good representation of the data.

Thanks for any help (just need a nudge in the right direction :) )

Karl

Physics news on Phys.org

Any advice guys?

I hate to be one of those people that points out the views:comments ratio...buuuut... :PKarl

Related to Not your average car collision (very real life ) - no values supplied

1. What caused the car collision?

The car collision could have been caused by a number of factors, such as distracted driving, speeding, mechanical failure, or road conditions. A thorough investigation would need to be conducted to determine the exact cause.

2. Were there any injuries or fatalities?

Without any information on the specific collision, it is impossible to say if there were any injuries or fatalities. However, car collisions can often result in injuries or fatalities, which is why it is important to always follow traffic laws and practice safe driving habits.

3. How can car collisions be prevented?

Car collisions can be prevented by following traffic laws, avoiding distractions while driving, regularly maintaining your vehicle, and being aware of your surroundings on the road. It is also important to always wear a seatbelt and never drive under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

4. What are the consequences of a car collision?

The consequences of a car collision can vary depending on the severity of the collision and the individuals involved. It can result in physical injuries, emotional trauma, property damage, and legal consequences. It is important to always take precautions to prevent car collisions.

5. What should I do if I witness a car collision?

If you witness a car collision, it is important to first ensure your own safety and then call for emergency assistance. If possible, try to provide any necessary first aid until help arrives. It is also important to stay at the scene and provide any information to authorities that may be helpful in their investigation.