Not sure I understand commutation relations

In summary, the image shown looks wrong because it only shows the commutator between two vectors and not between a vector and a function.
sa1988

Homework Statement

Firstly, I'm looking at this:

x9dYu1r.png

I'm confused because my understanding is that the commutator should be treated like so:

$$[a,a^{\dagger}] = aa^{\dagger} - a^{\dagger}a$$

but the working in the above image looks like it only goes as far as

$$aa^{\dagger}$$

This surely isn't the case, so I think I may have got my understanding wrong regarding how to take the correct steps when working out a commutation relation

Secondly, I have this question, which I think may further shed light on where I'm going wrong, if anyone may be kind enough to have a look for me:

A99AOec.png

I work through it like so:

$$[a^2,a^{\dagger}] = \Bigg[\frac{m}{2\hbar\omega}(\omega \hat{x} + \frac{i}{m}\hat{p})^2, \sqrt{\frac{m}{2\hbar\omega}}(\omega \hat{x} - \frac{i}{m}\hat{p}) \Bigg]$$
$$ = \frac{m}{2\hbar\omega}(\omega \hat{x} + \frac{i}{m}\hat{p})^2 \sqrt{\frac{m}{2\hbar\omega}}(\omega \hat{x} - \frac{i}{m}\hat{p}) - \frac{m}{2\hbar\omega}(\omega \hat{x} + \frac{i}{m}\hat{p})^2 \sqrt{\frac{m}{2\hbar\omega}}(\omega \hat{x} - \frac{i}{m}\hat{p})$$
taking this part alone:
$$(\omega \hat{x} + \frac{i}{m}\hat{p})^2$$
I'm getting:
$$\omega^2[\hat{x},\hat{x}] + \frac{\omega i}{m}[\hat{x},\hat{p}] + \frac{\omega i}{m}[\hat{p},\hat{x}] - \frac{1}{m}[\hat{p},\hat{p}]$$
$$ = 0 + \frac{\omega i}{m}(i \hbar) + \frac{\omega i}{m}(-i \hbar) + 0 $$
$$ = 0$$

Which would give a final result:

$$[a^2,a^{\dagger}] = 0 $$

So I clearly don't know how to go about this the right way!

The only error I can think of is that I'm supposed to put a dummy function alongside the operators i.e. I'm supposed to actually show that:

$$[a^2,a^{\dagger}]\Psi(x) = 2a\Psi(x) $$

This worked in a previous exercise where I demonstrated

$$[\hat{x},\hat{p}]\Psi(x) = i\hbar \Psi(x)$$

But this isn't how it's done in the first image I've embedded in this post where there isn't any kind of "dummy function" involved.

Or perhaps I'm not expanding the brackets properly? This is probably more likely...

Any help much appreciated, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
sa1988 said:
but the working in the above image looks like it only goes as far as

$$aa^{\dagger}$$

This surely isn't the case
I agree with you. The working shown looks wrong, in exactly the way you point out. What is the source of that working?

For the next bit:
taking this part alone:
$$(\omega \hat{x} + \frac{i}{m}\hat{p})^2$$
I'm getting:
$$\omega^2[\hat{x},\hat{x}] + \frac{\omega i}{m}[\hat{x},\hat{p}] + \frac{\omega i}{m}[\hat{p},\hat{x}] - \frac{1}{m}[\hat{p},\hat{p}]$$
That looks wrong to me. I can't see any reason for putting commutators in. There should just be composition of the operators. I get:
$$\omega^2\hat{x}^2 + \frac{\omega i}{m}\hat{x}\hat{p} + \frac{\omega i}{m}\hat{p}\hat{x} - \frac{1}{m}\hat{p}^2$$
which is not necessarily zero.

Likes sa1988
sa1988 said:
x9dYu1r.png

I'm confused because my understanding is that the commutator should be treated like so:$$[a,a^{\dagger}] = aa^{\dagger} - a^{\dagger}a$$but the working in the above image looks like it only goes as far as$$aa^{\dagger}$$
Huh? Looks ok to me. It's just using linearity properties of the commutator, i.e., $$[A+B \,,\, C] ~=~ [A,C] + [B,C]$$
Secondly, [...]
A99AOec.png
The commutator is a derivation, meaning that it satisfies the Leibniz product rule: $$[AB, C] ~=~[A,C]B + A[B,C] ~.$$ You can therefore use the result of the 1st part of your post to make the 2nd part easy. I.e., think of the ##a^2## as a product. With this hint, the solution should be a 1-liner. :wink:

Likes sa1988 and andrewkirk
Thanks for the replies.

So I was right in that I simply didn't know enough about commutators, i.e their properties.

Cheers :)

Related to Not sure I understand commutation relations

What are commutation relations?

Commutation relations are mathematical expressions that describe the relationships between operators in quantum mechanics. They show how the order in which operators act on a quantum state affects the outcome of a measurement.

Why is understanding commutation relations important?

Commutation relations are important because they help us to understand the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics and how quantum systems behave. They also allow us to make predictions about the outcomes of measurements and the behavior of quantum systems.

What is the significance of the uncertainty principle in commutation relations?

The uncertainty principle is closely related to commutation relations. It states that certain pairs of physical properties, such as position and momentum, cannot both be measured with absolute precision. This is because the operators for these properties do not commute, meaning their order of operation affects the outcome of a measurement.

How do commutation relations differ from classical physics?

In classical physics, the order in which operations are performed does not affect the outcome. However, in quantum mechanics, the order of operations does matter due to the non-commutativity of operators. This is one of the key differences between classical and quantum systems.

Are commutation relations always true?

Commutation relations are mathematical expressions based on the principles of quantum mechanics, so they are always true within this framework. However, they may not always accurately describe the behavior of certain systems, such as those at very small scales or with high energies.