Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Not quite convinced of this proposition i need to prove...

skatenerd

Oct 3, 2012
I am given that \(m\) and \(n\) are non zero integers and that \(S=\{k\in N:\,k=mx+ny\) for some integers \(x\) and \(y\}\). (Side note: How do you type the double struck capital N for the set of natural numbers in LaTeX?)
I need to prove that \(S\) is non-empty.

Well I am kind of stuck here thinking that if you had \(x=y=0\) then \(k=0\) making \(k\) not defined in the natural numbers, therefore leaving \(S\) to be none other than the empty set.

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Re: not quite convinced of this proposition i need to prove...

...(Side note: How do you type the double struck capital N for the set of natural numbers in LaTeX?)...
Use the code:

\mathbb{N}

to get:

\(\displaystyle \mathbb{N}\)

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
Re: not quite convinced of this proposition i need to prove...

I am given that \(m\) and \(n\) are non zero integers and that \(S=\{k\in N:\,k=mx+ny\) for some integers \(x\) and \(y\}\). I need to prove that \(S\) is non-empty.

Well I am kind of stuck here thinking that if you had \(x=y=0\) then \(k=0\) making \(k\) not defined in the natural numbers, therefore leaving \(S\) to be none other than the empty set.
For given $m$ and $n$, the set $S$ is formed by numbers of the form $mx+ny$ for all possible integer $x$ and $y$, not just $x=y=0$. Even if $0\notin\mathbb{N}$ (which differs according to different conventions). there are other $x$ and $y$ that produce positive integers.

skatenerd

Oct 3, 2012
So you're thinking that when it says "for some integers \(x\) and \(y\)" it means all different possible values?

Evgeny.Makarov

MHB Math Scholar
Jan 30, 2012
So you're thinking that when it says "for some integers \(x\) and \(y\)" it means all different possible values?
Yes, it may seem a little counterintuitive. The phrase
\[
k\in S\iff k=mx+ny\text{ for some integers }x\text{ and }y
\]
means
\[
k\in S\iff(\exists x,y,\,k=mx+ny)
\]
In particular,
\[
(\exists x,y,\,k=mx+ny) \implies k\in S
\]
which is logically equivalent to
\[
\forall x,y,\,(k=mx+ny\implies k\in S)
\]
or
\[
\forall x,y,\,mx+ny\in S.
\]
So, if we say that some object $x$ is interesting iff $P(x,y)$ holds for some $y$, it means that every pair $(x,y)$ satisfying $P$ gives rise to an interesting $x$.

skatenerd

Oct 3, 2012
Ahhh okay thank you. That was very helpful.