Not an exercise, more of a question.

• MHB
  • Thread starter IHateFactorial
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exercise
In summary, to find all the unique ways to add up to a given number n using u addends, you can use the formula described in Wikipedia. This involves finding each unique combination of addends and factoring in the number of ways they can be permutated, taking into account repeated numbers.
IHateFactorial
If I have a number n and I want to know all the unique ways in which I can use u addends to get that number... How do I do it?

For example: If the number is 6 and I want to see how many unique ways I can add up to it (order matters: \(\displaystyle 1 + 1 + 2 + 2\ne 2 + 2 + 1 + 1\)) by using 4 addends, what's the formula? (This is, in fact, considering that all the addends are greater than 0 and whole numbers.)

I can do it by looking for each unique way to add up to n using u addends and then factoring in the number of ways each can be permutated, including repeated numbers, but that seems too tedious.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Not an exercise, more of a question.

1. What is "Not an exercise, more of a question"?

"Not an exercise, more of a question" is a phrase that is often used to describe a thought-provoking or open-ended question that does not necessarily have a right or wrong answer. It is a way of encouraging critical thinking and discussion.

2. How is "Not an exercise, more of a question" different from a typical exercise?

A typical exercise usually has a specific goal or answer that the person is expected to reach. "Not an exercise, more of a question" does not have a predetermined answer and is meant to stimulate thought and discussion rather than test knowledge or skills.

3. Why is "Not an exercise, more of a question" important in scientific research?

In scientific research, it is important to ask open-ended questions in order to explore new ideas and gain a deeper understanding of a topic. "Not an exercise, more of a question" allows for more creativity and innovation in the research process.

4. Can "Not an exercise, more of a question" be used in other fields besides science?

Absolutely. "Not an exercise, more of a question" can be used in any field where critical thinking and discussion are valued. It can be a useful tool in education, business, and even personal development.

5. How can I come up with "Not an exercise, more of a question" for my own research or projects?

One way to come up with "Not an exercise, more of a question" is to think about a topic or problem from a different perspective. You can also brainstorm with others or do some research to find existing questions that have not been fully explored yet. It is also important to be open-minded and willing to challenge traditional ways of thinking.