Nostalgia for the everything and the immortal.

• Thread starter ninar
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of nostalgia in humans for the individualization of living things, as well as the effects of brain injuries, mind altering drugs, and the sexual revolution on this concept. The question is raised of whether our quest for immortality and liberation from death is a result of this nostalgia, and how it relates to various beliefs and perspectives. The guidelines for posting in the forum are mentioned, emphasizing the importance of clearly defining terms and justifying arguments in order to stimulate productive discussion.
ninar
Hi yall

Do you think there is some sort of nostalgia in human beings, against... the individualization of living things, which would, for this effect, include the characteristics of: birth, sex, death.

The reason I ask this, I was watching a talk by a neuroscientist who had a stroke, after which she acquired a new spirituality. During the stroke she had episodes in which certain parts of her brain kinda disconnected, so sometimes she wouldn't feel as limited by her body, but she would feel part of... the room, the floor, the air etc.

I have knowledge that there are drugs which mimic this effect, I don't know if exactly this happens with popular recreational drugs, but I have read that the way this particular drug acts, is it kinda disables some sectors in the brain that give you this sense of individuality.

After watching the interview, I recalled a text I read from Baudrillard ("The Vital Illusion"). He argues that a great revolution was made, first, in life, because it sort of made use life and death to distinguish an individual during that existence; then, in sexuality, to further differentiate this, and of course, of death.

He raises the question: so, with the sexual revolution-- that is, first to liberate sex from life (anti conceptives), then, liberate life from sex (artificial insemination, cloning, etc.) --and with this quest for, apparently, immortality (or at least for many, to start with, the prolongation of life), should we be afraid we are trying now to revolutionize life, to liberate life from death?

Im not really sure about the ambiguity or contradiction in some of the claims I made, but I do perceive some sort of nostalgia associated with this feeling of "everything" and "immortality": in religion(god), new age(nature), physics(the universe), etc etc.

Even, perhaps, a lament for our "individualization".

After all, maybe the things that make up this universe may not certainly be "immortal" or said to exist "forever forever"... but it does involve a long long long long period of time, which is so big for our understanding that... it accounts for something very similar, to our perception.

So, what do you think about this?

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to be all over the place, brain injuries, sex, mind altering drugs.

Please read the guidelines for posting in this forum, then you can come back with a post that is discussable.

In general, one should attempt to flesh out questions and arguments in the philosophy forums adequately enough that readers will have a good understanding of the problem, the backdrop against which it resides, and the justification of one's perspective. This might include

* explicitly defining key terms;
* justifying why this is a valid issue or problem in the first place;
* explicitly stating starting premises or assumptions;
* providing logical or empirical support for such premises or assumptions;
* making subtle logical steps more explicit;
* summarizing previous arguments made on the topic and explaining how they are relevant to your argument;
* etc.

In particular, please make a concerted effort to adequately define key terms whose meaning might otherwise be ambiguous and to provide proper justification for any claims that might be contentious. Doing so will go a long way towards stimulating productive discussion, whereas failure to do so will inevitably lead to lots of confusion, wasted words, and effort, and ultimately to moderator intervention as outlined above.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=47294

I find this topic very interesting and thought-provoking. While I cannot speak for all human beings, I do believe that there is a certain nostalgia for the concept of "everything" and "immortality". This could be due to our innate desire for knowledge and understanding, as well as our fear of death and the unknown.

The idea of individualization and the distinction of birth, sex, and death is a fundamental aspect of human existence. However, it is also true that certain experiences, such as the neuroscientist's stroke, can temporarily alter our perception of individuality and make us feel connected to everything around us.

The use of drugs to mimic this effect is a fascinating concept and raises questions about the nature of our consciousness and how it is influenced by our brain chemistry. However, I believe that it is important to approach these topics with caution and further research is needed to fully understand the implications of altering our brain function in this way.

The concept of the "sexual revolution" and our quest for immortality is also thought-provoking. While advancements in science and technology have allowed us to prolong life and even manipulate reproduction, it is important to consider the ethical implications of these actions. We must also acknowledge that death is a natural part of life and trying to completely eliminate it may have unforeseen consequences.

In regards to the nostalgia for "everything" and "immortality", I believe it is a complex concept that is intertwined with our perception of time and our place in the universe. While we may never fully understand it, I think it is important to continue exploring these ideas and their impact on our society and individual lives.

Related to Nostalgia for the everything and the immortal.

1. What is nostalgia?

Nostalgia is a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.

2. Why do we feel nostalgia?

Nostalgia is a complex emotion that is triggered by a variety of factors, including memories, sensory cues, and social influences. It can also be a coping mechanism for dealing with difficult emotions or situations in the present.

3. How does nostalgia affect our mental health?

Research has shown that nostalgia can have both positive and negative effects on mental health. It can provide comfort and a sense of belonging, but it can also lead to feelings of sadness and loneliness if it becomes excessive or interferes with present experiences.

4. Is nostalgia for the past always a good thing?

While nostalgia can bring about positive emotions and memories, it is important to acknowledge that it can also be influenced by bias and selective memory. It is important to balance nostalgia with present experiences and not allow it to negatively impact our lives.

5. Can nostalgia make us immortal?

No, nostalgia cannot physically make us immortal. However, it can keep memories and experiences alive in our minds and hearts, allowing us to feel connected to the past and carry it with us into the future.