Normalizing a Wave Function Combining Two Infinite-Well States

In summary: L?)In summary, The wave function for a combination of two different infinite-well states, the nth and the mth, is normalized if \int_{0}^{L} |\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx = 1 where L is the length of the infinite well. The wave function is properly normalized if \int_{0}^{L} |\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx = 1 and the two middle integrals involving the exponential functions sum to zero.
Xkaliber
Hi all,

I've got a tough problem that I need some guidance on.

Question: Consider a wave function that is a combination of two different infinite-well states, the nth and the mth.

[tex]\Psi(x,t)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\psi_n(x)e^{-i(\frac{E_n}{\hbar})t}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\psi_m(x)e^{-i(\frac{E_m}{\hbar})t}[/tex]

Show that [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex] is properly normalized.

Answer:

A wave function is normalized if [tex]\int_{0}^{L} |\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx = 1[/tex] where L is the length of the infinite well.

[tex]\int_{0}^{L} |\Psi(x,t)|^2 dx = 1[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{L} \Psi^*(x,t)\Psi(x,t) dx = 1[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{L} [\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\psi_n(x)e^{i(\frac{E_n}{\hbar})t}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\psi_m(x)e^{i(\frac{E_m}{\hbar})t}] [\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\psi_n(x)e^{-i(\frac{E_n}{\hbar})t}+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\psi_m(x)e^{-i(\frac{E_m}{\hbar})t}]dx = 1[/tex]

[tex]\int_{0}^{L} \frac{1}{2}\psi^2_n(x)dx+\int_{0}^{L} \frac{1}{2}\psi_n(x)\psi_m(x)e^{[i(\frac{E_m}{\hbar})-i(\frac{E_n}{\hbar})]t}dx+\int_{0}^{L} \frac{1}{2}\psi_n(x)\psi_m(x)e^{[i(\frac{E_n}{\hbar})-i(\frac{E_m}{\hbar})]t}dx+\int_{0}^{L} \frac{1}{2}\psi^2_m(x)dx[/tex]

For an infinite well, we know that [tex]\psi_n(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}[/tex] and [tex]\psi_m(x)=\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}sin\frac{m\pi x}{L}[/tex]. Substituting into the above integrals gives us

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{L} \frac{2}{L}sin^2\frac{n\pi x}{L}dx+\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{L} \frac{2}{L}sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}sin\frac{m\pi x}{L}e^{[i(\frac{E_m}{\hbar})-i(\frac{E_n}{\hbar})]t}dx+\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{L}\frac{2}{L}sin\frac{n\pi x}{L}sin\frac{m\pi x}{L}e^{[i(\frac{E_n}{\hbar})-i(\frac{E_m}{\hbar})]t}dx+\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{L}\frac{2}{L}sin^2\frac{m\pi x}{L}dx[/tex]

The first and last integral terms are 1/2, which sum to one. Since all 4 terms must sum to one, that means the two middle integrals must sum to zero. I used an integral table to solve the two middle integrals. (
http://teachers.sduhsd.k12.ca.us/abrown/Classes/CalculusC/IntegralTablesStewart.pdf" #79) However, the result gives an answer involving [tex]\frac{sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}-\frac{m\pi}{L})}{\frac{n\pi}{L}-\frac{m\pi}{L}}-\frac{sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}+\frac{m\pi}{L})}{\frac{n\pi}{L}+\frac{m\pi}{L}}[/tex], which depend upon L. Can someone please tell me where I went wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember that for all wave functions whaich are part of a complete set

[tex] \int \psi_{n}(x)\psi_{m}(x) dx = \delta_{nm} [/tex]

so you don't need to get into integrating all of the sine functions, and you have forgotten to take the exponential funcitons out of the intergral because they are not functions of [tex] x [/tex].

Thanks for the reply. Could you please explain what [tex] \delta_{nm} [/tex] is? I don't believe I have been introduced to that term.

Regarding the exponential functions, I did not take them out of the integrals above but did take them out on my paper which is how I obtained the [tex]\frac{sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}-\frac{m\pi}{L})}{\frac{n\pi}{L}-\frac{m\pi}{L}}-\frac{sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}+\frac{m\pi}{L})}{\frac{n\ pi}{L}+\frac{m\pi}{L}}[/tex]
. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
[tex]\delta_{nm}=\left\{ \begin{array} {c} 1 \ \ \mbox{if} \ \ m=n & 0 \ \ \mbox{otherwise} \end{array}[/tex]

Xkaliber said:
Thanks for the reply. Could you please explain what [tex] \delta_{nm} [/tex] is? I don't believe I have been introduced to that term.

Regarding the exponential functions, I did not take them out of the integrals above but did take them out on my paper which is how I obtained the [tex]\frac{sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}-\frac{m\pi}{L})}{\frac{n\pi}{L}-\frac{m\pi}{L}}-\frac{sin(\frac{n\pi}{L}+\frac{m\pi}{L})}{\frac{n\ pi}{L}+\frac{m\pi}{L}}[/tex]
. Sorry for the confusion.
[tex] \delta_{nm} [/tex] is the Kronecker Delta. It has the value 1 when the two indices are equal and zero otherwise. There has to be something wrong with your sine expressions. The argument of a trig function must be dimensionless.

The point Dr Transport was making is that you already know the wave functions are orthonormal. You should not have to work out the integrals again.

I think I can see where you are going with this. However, I still do not understand why [tex] \int_{0}^{L} \psi_{n}(x)\psi_{m}(x) dx = 0 [/tex] in this case. Can someone show (by doing the integral) or otherwise explain why this is so?

(Dan, is the L in the sine expression, in fact, dimensionless since the x/L fractions (before the integration took place) canceled out the units of length?)

Xkaliber said:
I think I can see where you are going with this. However, I still do not understand why [tex] \int_{0}^{L} \psi_{n}(x)\psi_{m}(x) dx = 0 [/tex] in this case. Can someone show (by doing the integral) or otherwise explain why this is so?

(Dan, is the L in the sine expression, in fact, dimensionless since the x/L fractions (before the integration took place) canceled out the units of length?)
Before you integrated, you had x/L in the trig functions and dx/L in the integral with limits proportional to L. Everything was dimensionless. When you looked up your integrals, you somehow lost track of things. You might want to change to a dimensionless variable before integrting. y = x/L would do nicely.

Xkaliber said:

It is a postulate of QM that the (normalized )eigenfunctions of the hamiltonian form an orthonormal basis for the system. For regular vectors, orthonormality of a basis means that

[tex]\hat{e}_n\cdot \hat{e}_m=\delta_{nm}[/tex]

right? Well for eigenfunctions we extend this definition to mean that

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} \psi_{n}(x)\psi_{m}(x) dx = \delta_{nm} [/tex]

In the particular case of the infinite well eigenfunctions, you can verify that they are orthonormal by computing the intgegral.. for inxtance by use of the identity 2sinAsinB=(cos(A+B/2)+sin(A-B/2)) [or somethign like that].

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I got the integral to equal zero using Dan's suggestion. It's satisfying to mathematically see how a value is obtained rather than just taking it for granted. I have a few other parts related to this question to answer so I may be back if I encounter any more roadblocks. :smile:

Related to Normalizing a Wave Function Combining Two Infinite-Well States

1. What is the purpose of normalizing a wave function?

Normalizing a wave function is important in quantum mechanics because it ensures that the probability of finding a particle in a certain location is equal to 1. This means that the wave function is properly scaled and represents a physically meaningful probability distribution.

2. How do you combine two infinite-well states to create a normalized wave function?

To combine two infinite-well states, you first multiply them together and then integrate the product over the entire range of the infinite well. This integral is then divided by the square root of the product of the integrals of each individual infinite-well state. This results in a normalized wave function that represents a linear combination of the two states.

3. What is the significance of the normalization constant in a wave function?

The normalization constant is a numerical value that ensures the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1. It represents the amplitude of the wave function and is essential in accurately describing the behavior of a quantum system.

4. Can a wave function be normalized if it is not continuous?

No, in order for a wave function to be normalized, it must be continuous. This means that it must have a defined value at every point in the range of the infinite well. If a wave function is not continuous, it cannot be properly normalized.

5. Does normalizing a wave function change its physical properties?

No, normalizing a wave function does not change its physical properties. It simply ensures that the wave function is properly scaled and represents a physically meaningful probability distribution. The shape and behavior of the wave function will remain the same after normalization.