Normalizing a radial wave function

In summary, the conversation is about showing that the radial function R_{31} is normalized using a given equation and the attempt at a solution involves integrating with spherical coordinates. However, there seems to be an error in the integration and the conversation shifts to discussing the use of a useful definite integral for solving the problem.
atarr3

Homework Statement

Show that the radial function R[tex]_{31}[/tex] is normalized.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{1}{a_{0}^{3/2}}\frac{4}{81\sqrt{6}}\left(6-\frac{r}{a_{0}}\right)\frac{r}{a_{0}}e^{-r/3a_{0}}[/tex]

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}r^{2}R_{31}*R_{31}dr=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So I plugged that radial function in and got [tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}a_{0}^{2}u^{2}\left(6u-u^{2}\right)^{2}e^{-2u/3}du=1[/tex] all multiplied by some constant and [tex]u=\frac{r}{a_{0}}[/tex]

I'm getting [tex]\frac{243}{4}[/tex] times the constant, and that does not equal one. So I feel like I'm not using the right equation for this one.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember what coordinate system you are working in.

Spherical coordinates. So there's an r^2 thrown in there. Did I not account for everything in my integral?

Well, it looks like you didn't in your equation with the u's.

I'm seeing an extra [itex]a_o^2[/itex], since there's an [itex](\frac{1}{a_0^{3/2}})^2 = \frac{1}{a_0^3}[/itex] term, an [itex]r^2 = a_0^2u^2[/itex] term, and a [itex] dr = a_0 du[/itex] term:

[tex]\frac{1}{a_0^3}a_0^2u^2a_0 du = u^2 du[/tex]

I'm curious as to how you're going about integrating

[tex] C\int_0^\infty (u^6 - 12u^5 + 36u^4)e^{-2u/3} du [/tex] ?

Does this have to be done by repeated parts (after you split it up of course), or is there a trick?

dotman said:
I'm curious as to how you're going about integrating

[tex] C\int_0^\infty (u^6 - 12u^5 + 36u^4)e^{-2u/3} du [/tex] ?

Does this have to be done by repeated parts (after you split it up of course), or is there a trick?

A very useful definite integral that was given to me when I learned about the hydrogen atom is

[tex]\int^{\infty}_{0}x^n \; e^{-ax}dx=\frac{n!}{a^{n+1}}; \; (a>0;\; n\; integer \:>0)[/tex]

Related to Normalizing a radial wave function

1. What is the purpose of normalizing a radial wave function?

Normalizing a radial wave function is the process of adjusting the amplitude of the function to ensure that the total probability of finding a particle in a given region is equal to 1. This allows for meaningful comparisons between different wave functions and simplifies calculations.

2. How is a radial wave function normalized?

A radial wave function is normalized by dividing it by the square root of the integral of the squared function over all space. This ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in all space is equal to 1.

3. What are the benefits of normalizing a radial wave function?

Normalizing a radial wave function allows for a more accurate representation of physical systems and simplifies calculations by ensuring that the total probability is equal to 1. It also allows for meaningful comparisons between different wave functions.

4. Is normalizing a radial wave function always necessary?

No, normalizing a radial wave function is not always necessary. In some cases, the wave function may already be normalized or the normalization factor may cancel out in calculations. However, in most cases, it is important to normalize the wave function to ensure accurate results.

5. Can a radial wave function be normalized to any value?

No, a radial wave function must be normalized to a value of 1. This is because the total probability of finding a particle in all space must be equal to 1. Normalizing to any other value would result in an incorrect representation of the physical system.