Normalization of free scalar field states

In summary: I don't even know the name of the math object. Could you suggest any books that will help me understand these things better?In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the convention a^{\dagger}_\textbf{p} |0\rangle = |\textbf{p}\rangle and the resulting non-Lorentz invariance of the normalization \langle \textbf{p} | \textbf{q} \rangle = (2\pi)^3 \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}). The individual then asks for help in explicitly showing the non-invariance for a boost in the p^3 direction and presents their own understanding of the calculation
soviet1100
Hi,

if we adopt the convention, [itex] a^{\dagger}_\textbf{p} |0\rangle = |\textbf{p}\rangle [/itex]

then we get a normalization that is not Lorentz invariant, i.e. [itex] \langle \textbf{p} | \textbf{q} \rangle = (2\pi)^3 \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) [/itex].

How do I explicitly show that this delta function (of 3-vectors) is not lorentz invariant, say for a boost in the p^3 direction ? What is [itex] \langle \textbf{p'} | \textbf{q'} \rangle [/itex] where the primed frame is the boosted frame?

I thought since [itex] \int d^{3}\textbf{p} \hspace{2mm} \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) = 1 [/itex] is lorentz invariant (integral over all space, so includes q)

and as [itex] \hspace{3mm} d^3 \textbf{p} = \gamma^{-1} d^3 \textbf{p'} [/itex], (primed frame is boosted frame)

so [itex] \hspace{5mm} \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) = \gamma\,\delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p'} - \textbf{q'}) [/itex].

so that [itex] \int \gamma\,\delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p'} - \textbf{q'}) \gamma^{-1} d^3 \textbf{p'} = 1 [/itex] stays Lorentz invariant.

However, Peskin gets for the same calculation (p.22-23, eqn.2.34) the result

[itex] \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p'} - \textbf{q'}) = \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) (\frac{E}{E'}) [/itex] using a method that I don't really understand well.

Have I made a mistake somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
soviet1100 said:
I thought since [itex] \int d^{3}\textbf{p} \hspace{2mm} \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) = 1 [/itex] is lorentz invariant

Why?

soviet1100 said:
so [itex] \hspace{5mm} \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) = \gamma\,\delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p'} - \textbf{q'}) [/itex].

so that [itex] \int \gamma\,\delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p'} - \textbf{q'}) \gamma^{-1} d^3 \textbf{p'} = 1 [/itex] stays Lorentz invariant.

You can't just impose this because you want it to be true. The mathematical relationship between ##\delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q})## and ##\delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p'} - \textbf{q'})## has to be investigated mathematically. Peskin and Schroeder does this at the top of page 23.

soviet1100 said:
However, Peskin gets for the same calculation (p.22-23, eqn.2.34) the result

[itex] \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p'} - \textbf{q'}) = \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) (\frac{E}{E'}) [/itex] using a method that I don't really understand well.

What don't you understand about the math at the top of page 23.

Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. Lack of sleep. Of course, [itex] \int d^{3}\textbf{p} \hspace{2mm} \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) [/itex] does not have to be Lorentz invariant. I deserve a slap for that, please disregard that trail of thought.

Here's what P&S do: They consider a boost in the 3-direction, with the unprimed frame as the boosted frame as:

[itex] p'_3 = \gamma\,(p_3 + \beta E), \hspace{4mm} E' = \gamma\,(E + \beta\,p_3 ) [/itex]

and then they use the identity [itex] \delta(f(x) - f(x_0)) = \frac{1}{|f'(x_0)|}\,\delta(x - x_0) \hspace{4mm} [/itex] to get:

[itex] \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) = \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p'} - \textbf{q'}) \frac{dp'_3}{dp_3} [/itex]

The subsequent steps, I follow. It's just the one above that I don't get. Here is my attempt:

First, isn't the delta function identity [itex] \delta[g(x)] = \sum_i \frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|f'(x_i)|} [/itex], where the xi are roots of the function g(x)?

To get a relation between the boosted [itex] \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p} - \textbf{q}) [/itex] and the unboosted [itex] \delta^{(3)}(\textbf{p'} - \textbf{q'}) [/itex], I suspect P&S have used the identity on the former to bring out p'3.

I take [itex] g(\textbf{p'}) = \textbf{p} - \textbf{q}, \hspace{4mm} \textbf{p} = (p_1, p_2, p_3) = (p'_1, p'_2, \gamma(p'_3 - \beta E_p')), \hspace{4mm} \textbf{q} = (q_1, q_2, q_3) = (q'_1, q'_2, \gamma(q'_3 - \beta E_q')) [/itex]. We want the values of p' that will give a zero for g(p') as defined above.

Now, [itex] \textbf{p} - \textbf{q} = (p'_1 - q'_1, p'_2 - q'_2, \gamma[(p'_3 - q'_3) - \beta (E'_p - E'_q)]) [/itex]

So [itex] \textbf{p'} = \textbf{q'} [/itex] isn't a sufficient condition for a zero of g(p'), is it? One must also have E'p = E'q, isn't it so?

Are there any flaws in my working? I suspect there obviously are, for I don't know how to get the factor [itex] \frac{dp'_3}{dp_3} [/itex] out.

soviet1100 said:
First, isn't the delta function identity [itex] \delta[g(x)] = \sum_i \frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|f'(x_i)|} [/itex], where the xi are roots of the function g(x)?

Yes. (Typo in the denominator.) What happens if you set ##g\left(x\right) = f\left(x\right) - f\left(x_0 \right)##?

soviet1100 said:
So [itex] \textbf{p'} = \textbf{q'} [/itex] isn't a sufficient condition for a zero of g(p'), is it? One must also have E'p = E'q, isn't it so?

But the fact that ##\left( \Delta E \right)^2 - \left( \Delta p \right)^2## is frame-invariant gives you ... ?

Likes soviet1100
George Jones said:
Yes. (Typo in the denominator.) What happens if you set ##g\left(x\right) = f\left(x\right) - f\left(x_0 \right)##?

Sorry about the typo. [itex] \hspace{2mm} \delta[g(x)] = \sum_i \frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|g'(x_i)|} [/itex]. I get it now:

Setting [itex] g(x) = f(x) - f(x_i) [/itex] gives the zeros of g(x) as xi and [itex] g'(x) = f'(x) [/itex] so one obtains the form of the identity used by P&S:

[itex] \delta[f(x) - f(x_i)] = \sum_i \frac{\delta(x-x_i)}{|f'(x_i)|} [/itex].

George Jones said:
But the fact that ##\left( \Delta E \right)^2 - \left( \Delta p \right)^2## is frame-invariant gives you ... ?

Ah, of course. [itex] \Delta E^2_p - \Delta |\textbf{p}|^2 = \Delta E^2_q - \Delta |\textbf{q}|^2 [/itex], and [itex] \textbf{p'} = \textbf{q'} [/itex] implies [itex] E'_p = E'_q [/itex]. So, p' = q' is indeed a sufficient condition for a zero of g(x).

As for the obtaining the factor [itex] \frac{dp'_3}{dp_3} [/itex], I've managed to come up with it using intuition and some mathematics that I'm unfamiliar with. Perhaps you would care to comment if it is incorrect, or if there is a better way?

Computing the factor [itex] |g'(\textbf{p'}=\textbf{q'})| [/itex] :

Now, [itex] \textbf{g}(\textbf{p'}) = \textbf{p} - \textbf{q} = (p'_1 - q'_1, p'_2 - q'_2, p_3) [/itex].

According to the definition in the 'addendum' of the first answer (by user 'joshphysics') on this page (linked), one has:

[itex] \left| \frac{d\textbf{g}}{d\textbf{p'}} \right| = \left| \begin{array}{ccc} \frac{dg_1}{dp'_1} & \frac{dg_1}{dp'_2} & \frac{dg_1}{dp'_3} \\ \frac{dg_2}{dp'_1} & \frac{dg_2}{dp'_2} & \frac{dg_2}{dp'_3} \\ \frac{dg_3}{dp'_1} & \frac{dg_3}{dp'_2} & \frac{dg_3}{dp'_3} \end{array} \right| = \left| \begin{array}{ccc} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & \frac{dp_3}{dp'_3} \end{array} \right| = \frac{dp_3}{dp'_3} [/itex].

(Actually, the link above defines the total derivative of a vector valued function w.r.t a vector as a matrix of various partial derivatives. I just assumed that the bars in the denominator when applied to a square matrix meant the determinant.)

Did I get everything right?

Even if I did, I confess that there are two pieces of math here that I haven't studied before (I'm a 2nd year undergrad). One is the identity involving the delta function (of a function), and the other is the definition of the derivative of a vector valued function w.r.t to another vector. Could you perhaps point me to resources (preferably a book for the latter) that discuss these concepts?

Thanks a ton for the guidance!

Sorry, disregard my questions in the last post. I proved the identity myself and found a good book on the latter subject - Hubbard's Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, & Differential Forms (A Unified Approach).

Thanks again.

soviet1100 said:
Computing the factor [itex] |g'(\textbf{p'}=\textbf{q'})| [/itex] :

Now, [itex] \textbf{g}(\textbf{p'}) = \textbf{p} - \textbf{q} = (p'_1 - q'_1, p'_2 - q'_2, p_3) [/itex].

Corrected: [itex] \textbf{g}(\textbf{p'}) = \textbf{p} - \textbf{q} = (p'_1 - q'_1, p'_2 - q'_2, p_3 - q_3) [/itex]

Related to Normalization of free scalar field states

1. What is the purpose of normalization in free scalar field states?

The purpose of normalization in free scalar field states is to ensure that the probability of finding a particle in a given state is equal to 1. This is necessary for the consistency of quantum mechanics and helps to maintain the correct interpretation of the wavefunction.

2. How is normalization achieved in free scalar field states?

Normalization is achieved by dividing the wavefunction by a normalization constant, which is determined by integrating the squared magnitude of the wavefunction over all space. This ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in any location is equal to 1.

3. What is the role of the vacuum state in normalization of free scalar field states?

The vacuum state, also known as the ground state, is the state with the lowest possible energy in a quantum system. In the context of normalization, the vacuum state is used as a reference point to determine the normalization constant for other states in the system.

4. Is the normalization of free scalar field states affected by the number of dimensions?

Yes, the normalization of free scalar field states is affected by the number of dimensions in the system. In higher dimensions, the normalization constant is multiplied by a factor that depends on the dimensionality of the system. This is due to the different ways in which the squared magnitude of the wavefunction is integrated over space.

5. Can normalization be applied to other types of quantum systems?

Yes, normalization can be applied to other types of quantum systems, not just free scalar field states. It is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics and is used to ensure the consistency and accuracy of calculations in various systems, such as the harmonic oscillator and the hydrogen atom.