Normalization and the probability amplitude

In summary, it is possible to normalize the modulus squared of two probability amplitudes by taking the Fourier transform of the square of the functions. The norm of a wavefunction is the same whether you normalize in position space or momentum space.
redtree
Given two probability amplitude wavefunctions, one in position space ##\psi(r,k)## and one in wavenumber space ##\phi(r,k)##, where ##r## and ##k## are Fourier conjugates, how is it possible for the modulus squared, i.e., probability density, of BOTH wavefunctions to be normalized? It seems that only one of the two probability densities can be normalized, and one must choose to normalize in either position OR wavenumber space. Is my understanding correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
redtree said:
Given two probability amplitude wavefunctions, one in position space ##\psi(r,k)## and one in wavenumber space ##\phi(r,k)##, where ##r## and ##k## are Fourier conjugates, how is it possible for the modulus squared, i.e., probability density, of BOTH wavefunctions to be normalized? It seems that only one of the two probability densities can be normalized, and one must choose to normalize in either position OR wavenumber space. Is my understanding correct?

On the contrary, the norm of a wavefunction is the same whether you normalize in position space or momentum (wavenumber) space.

I don't know what you mean by ##\psi(r,k)##. Let's simplify to one spatial dimension, so a wave function is just a function ##\psi(x)## in position space. Then the corresponding representation in momentum space, ##\tilde{\psi}(k)## is defined by:

##\tilde{\psi}(k) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}} \int e^{-ikx} \psi(x) dx##. Then the norms are the same:

##\int (\psi(x))^* \psi(x) dx = \int (\tilde{\psi}(k))^* \tilde{\psi}(k) dk##

Assume the probability density is the normalized Gaussian, such that:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\left|\phi(x) \right|^2&=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{2 \sigma^2}}
\end{split}
\end{equation}

Thus:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{2 \sigma^2}}&=1
\end{split}
\end{equation}Where:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\mathcal{F}\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{2 \sigma^2}}\right]&=e^{-2 \pi^2 \sigma^2 k^2}
\end{split}
\end{equation}

However:
\begin{equation}
\begin{split}
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dk
e^{-2 \pi^2 \sigma^2 k^2}&=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2 \pi \sigma^2}}
\\
&\text{i.e., } <>1
\end{split}
\end{equation}

So what am I missing?

You don't take the Fourier transform of the square of the function, you take the Fourier transform of the function, and then square it.

So your function is ##\phi(x) = (2\pi \sigma^2)^{-\frac{1}{4}} e^{-\frac{x^2}{4\sigma^2}}##

Then ##\tilde{\phi}(k) = (2\pi \sigma^2)^{-\frac{1}{4}} (2\pi)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \int e^{-\frac{x^2}{4\sigma^2} } e^{-ikx} dx = (2\pi)^{-\frac{3}{4}} (\sigma)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \int e^{-\frac{x^2}{4\sigma^2} } e^{-ikx} dx##

To do the integral, let ##x = 2\sigma y + i \sigma k##. Then ##e^{-\frac{x^2}{4\sigma^2} } e^{-ikx} = e^{-(y+ik \sigma)^2 - \sigma^2 k^2}##

So ##(2\pi)^{-\frac{3}{4}} (\sigma)^{-\frac{1}{2}} \int e^{-\frac{x^2}{4\sigma^2} } e^{-ikx} dx = (2\pi)^{-\frac{3}{4}} (\sigma)^{-\frac{1}{2}} 2 \sigma e^{-\sigma^2 k^2} \sqrt{\pi}##

So

##\tilde{\phi}(k) = (\frac{2\sigma^2}{\pi})^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{-\sigma^2 k^2}##

Square it to get the probability density:

##|\tilde{\phi}(k)|^2 = (\frac{2\sigma^2}{\pi})^{\frac{1}{2}} e^{-2\sigma^2 k^2}##

You'll find that ##\int |\tilde{\phi}(k)|^2 dk = 1##.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
stevendaryl said:
##|\tilde{\phi}(k)|^2 = (\frac{2\sigma^2}{\pi})^{\frac{1}{2}} e^{-2\sigma^2 k^2}##

It occurs to me that "wave number" might not be the same thing as my ##k##. It might be defined so that ##k \equiv 2\pi k'## where ##k'## is the wave number. If that's the case, then the density as a function of ##k'## must be adjusted.

Got it; I figured I was making a simple mistake. I use ##e^{-2 \pi i k x}## instead of ##e^{-i k x}## for the Fourier transform so my answer a little different but normalizes just the same. Thanks!

Related to Normalization and the probability amplitude

1. What is normalization?

Normalization is the process of scaling or adjusting a set of values so that they fall within a specific range. In the context of probability amplitude, normalization ensures that the total probability of all possible outcomes adds up to 1.

2. How is normalization related to probability amplitude?

Normalization is a crucial concept in understanding probability amplitude. The probability amplitude of a quantum system is calculated by taking the square root of the probability density function, which represents the likelihood of finding a particle in a particular state. Normalization ensures that the total probability amplitude for all states adds up to 1, making it a valid probability distribution.

3. Why is normalization important in quantum mechanics?

Normalization is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to make meaningful predictions about the behavior of a quantum system. The total probability of all possible outcomes must always equal 1, and normalization ensures that this requirement is met. This is essential for accurately describing the probabilistic nature of quantum systems.

4. How is normalization calculated?

The calculation of normalization depends on the specific system and probability density function being analyzed. In general, normalization involves dividing each individual probability amplitude by the square root of the sum of all probability amplitudes squared. This ensures that the total probability amplitude adds up to 1.

5. What happens if a system is not normalized?

If a system is not normalized, it means that the total probability of all possible outcomes does not add up to 1. This can lead to incorrect predictions about the behavior of the system. In quantum mechanics, normalization is a fundamental requirement for accurately describing the probabilistic nature of particles, so it is important to ensure that all systems are properly normalized.