Normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom.

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation for \Phi and normalizing it to get the value of A. The integral is calculated and rewritten using Euler's method, leading to a result of |phi|^2. The conversation then clarifies that the result is the probability density function and suggests computing the integral of phi multiplied by its conjugate. Finally, the issue is resolved and the person acknowledges the solution.
mrausum
This is most likely very simple, but I can't figure it out.

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/physics/teaching/btv/Lect02_2006.pdf

Step 5 they've got an equation for [tex]\Phi[/tex]. They then normalise it to get A = [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi}}[/tex]. Every time I do the integral I get:

[tex]A^2.^{2\pi}_{0}[ \frac{exp(2i\sqrt{\Lambda}\Phi)}{2i\sqrt{\Lambda}}] = 1 [/tex]

Which makes the integral go to zero when you rewrite the exp using Euler's and and take into account [tex]\sqrt{\Lambda}[/tex] must be an integer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the absolute square of phi?

Edgardo said:
What is the absolute square of phi?

The probability density function. So?

No, I mean write down phi and then compute |phi|^2. What do you get for |phi|^2?

Edgardo said:
No, I mean write down phi and then compute |phi|^2. What do you get for |phi|^2?

[tex]A^2.exp(2i\sqrt{\Lambda}\Phi)[/tex]

No, look again. It is the absolute square.

Edgardo said:
No, look again. It is the absolute square.

So I can't take the two inside the exp? I don't really see why not? So I'm guessing you're saying that I have to do the integral of phi multiplied by its conjugate?

Thanks anyway, that's solved it :)

Last edited:

Related to Normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom.

What is normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom?

Normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom is a mathematical process used to calculate the probability of finding an electron in a specific energy state in the Hydrogen atom. It is an important step in understanding the behavior of electrons in atoms and molecules.

Why is normalising phi important?

Normalising phi is important because it allows us to accurately predict the probability of finding an electron in a specific energy state. This information is crucial in understanding the electronic structure of atoms and molecules, and it also helps us make predictions about chemical reactions and properties of materials.

What is the equation for normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom?

The equation for normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom is ∫ |φn,l,m|2 r2 sinθ dr dθ dφ = 1. This represents the integral of the squared wavefunction over all space, which must equal 1 for the wavefunction to be normalised.

How is normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom related to the Schrödinger equation?

Normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom is related to the Schrödinger equation because the Schrödinger equation is used to calculate the wavefunction (phi) for the Hydrogen atom. The normalisation of phi is an important condition that must be satisfied for the wavefunction to accurately describe the behavior of electrons in the atom.

Is normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom the same as normalising other wavefunctions?

No, normalising phi for the Hydrogen atom is not the same as normalising other wavefunctions. The process and equations used for normalising phi are specific to the Hydrogen atom and cannot be applied to other atoms or molecules. Each wavefunction has its own unique normalisation process.