Normalising a wave function to dirac's delta

In summary, the speaker is discussing the concept of normalizing wave functions to Dirac's delta and is specifically questioning the use of two different wave functions in the normalization process. The concept is related to finding an orthonormal basis of states for a quantum problem and is a continuous analog of a discrete problem.
ffia
Hi guys!

There is something I fail to understand in normalising wave functions to dirac's delta.

Let's take the free particle solution as an example.
Please note that my question is not about using the solution as much as about undestanding the concept.

-----
The situation

The general form of the free particle solution:
[tex]\Psi(x,t) = A e^{i(kx-ωt)}
[/tex]
And the normalisation is done with an overlap integral of two different wave functions, [itex]\Psi_{k'}(x,t)[/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{k}(x,t)[/itex] relying on the following representation of dirac's delta:
[tex]\delta (k-k') = \frac{1}{2 Pi}\int e^{ix(k-k')}dx[/tex]
The normalised free particle then will have the form
[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 Pi}} e^{i(kx-ωt)}[/tex]

-----
So here is what I don't undestand.

The general definition of a normalized wave function is
[tex]\int \Psi^{*} \Psi dx = 1[/tex]
So, as I undestand it, the scalar product is taken using a function and its complex conjugate.
When normalising to dirac's delta, however, this doesn't seem to be the idea. (The momentum of the functions used is different). Why is this, i.e. why is the normalization to dirac's delta done with two different wave functions? And what does it mean to define the normalization like this, using two different functions?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ffia said:
Hi guys!

There is something I fail to understand in normalising wave functions to dirac's delta.

Let's take the free particle solution as an example.
Please note that my question is not about using the solution as much as about undestanding the concept.

-----
The situation

The general form of the free particle solution:
[tex]\Psi(x,t) = A e^{i(kx-ωt)}
[/tex]
And the normalisation is done with an overlap integral of two different wave functions, [itex]\Psi_{k'}(x,t)[/itex] and [itex]\Psi_{k}(x,t)[/itex] relying on the following representation of dirac's delta:
[tex]\delta (k-k') = \frac{1}{2 Pi}\int e^{ix(k-k')}dx[/tex]
The normalised free particle then will have the form
[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2 Pi}} e^{i(kx-ωt)}[/tex]

-----
So here is what I don't undestand.

The general definition of a normalized wave function is
[tex]\int \Psi^{*} \Psi dx = 1[/tex]
So, as I undestand it, the scalar product is taken using a function and its complex conjugate.
When normalising to dirac's delta, however, this doesn't seem to be the idea. (The momentum of the functions used is different). Why is this, i.e. why is the normalization to dirac's delta done with two different wave functions? And what does it mean to define the normalization like this, using two different functions?

Thank you in advance.

You want to find an orthonormal basis of states for a quantum problem where the states are discrete you pick them so ##<\Psi_i,\Psi_j>=\delta_{ij}##. So in particular ##\int \Psi^*_i\Psi_i dx = 1##. For free particles you can't do that because they aren't normalizable in that sense. The integral diverges. The delta function normalization is a continuous analog of the discrete problem.

Likes 1 person

Related to Normalising a wave function to dirac's delta

What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It describes the probability of finding the particle in a particular position or energy state.

What is Dirac's delta function?

Dirac's delta function, also known as the Dirac delta distribution, is a mathematical function that is used to represent an infinitely concentrated peak at a specific location. It is often used in quantum mechanics to describe the position of a particle.

Why is normalizing a wave function important?

Normalizing a wave function is important because it ensures that the total probability of finding a particle in any position or energy state is equal to 1. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and allows for accurate predictions of the behavior of particles.

How is a wave function normalized to Dirac's delta?

To normalize a wave function to Dirac's delta, the integral of the wave function squared over all space must be equal to 1. This means that the wave function must be scaled by a constant factor to ensure that the total probability is 1.

What are the implications of normalizing a wave function to Dirac's delta?

The implications of normalizing a wave function to Dirac's delta are that it accurately describes the quantum state of a particle and allows for precise calculations of its properties. It also ensures that the total probability is conserved and follows the laws of quantum mechanics.