Normal velocity to the surface in Spherical Coordinate System

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the normal vector in a Spherical Coordinate system for a non-spherical shape. The suggested method involves taking the dot product of a unit normal vector and the particle's velocity vector, and then multiplying the result by the unit normal vector to obtain the normal velocity. It is also mentioned that the normal for a spherical particle is known, but the method needs to be adjusted for non-spherical shapes.
Wisam
Let's say we have r=R( theta, phi, t) on the surface of the particle and need to find the normal vector in Spherical Coordinate system. We know that, the unit vector =grad(r-R( theta, phi, t)) / |grad((r-R( theta, phi, t))|
where grad is Spherical gradient operator in term of e_r, e_\theta, e_\phi.

Can you please help me to calculate the normal velocity to the surface in Spherical Coordinate system.Thank for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid your question is too hard to understand as it is written. If you write it again more clearly, making clear in particular
- what the surface is to which you refer
- what the path is, for which you want to calculate a velocity
then it will probably become possible for somebody to help you.

If you have a unit normal to the surface, then:

1) take the dot product of this unit normal vector and the particle's velocity vector;

2) multiply the result of 1) by the unit normal vector.

Together, 1) and 2) give the part of the particle's velocity that is normal to the surface.

andrewkirk said:
I'm afraid your question is too hard to understand as it is written. If you write it again more clearly, making clear in particular
- what the surface is to which you refer
- what the path is, for which you want to calculate a velocity
then it will probably become possible for somebody to help you.

Thank you for your help.
We know the normal for spherical particle ( for sphere we know how the normal) but I need to find the normal for non-spherical shape.
If we say the radius r=R(t)+epsilon R(theta,t)
then how can I find the normal for that form.?
I think the normal will be

n=n0+epsilon n1 (theta,t)
where n0 is the vector for (for spherical shape)??
Is that right ?

George Jones said:

1) take the dot product of this unit normal vector and the particle's velocity vector;

Together, 1) and 2) give the part of the particle's velocity that is normal to the surface.
George Jones said:

Thank you for your help.
We know the normal for spherical particle ( for sphere we know how the normal) but I need to find the normal for non-spherical shape.
If we say the radius r=R(t)+epsilon R(theta,t)
then how can I find the normal for that form.?
I think the normal will be

n=n0+epsilon n1 (theta,t)
where n0 is the vector for (for spherical shape)??
Is that right ?
thank you

Related to Normal velocity to the surface in Spherical Coordinate System

1. What is a normal velocity to the surface in Spherical Coordinate System?

A normal velocity to the surface in Spherical Coordinate System is the component of velocity that is perpendicular to the surface at a given point. In other words, it is the rate of change of distance from the point to the surface along the normal direction.

2. How is normal velocity to the surface calculated in Spherical Coordinate System?

The normal velocity to the surface in Spherical Coordinate System can be calculated using the formula: v_n = v * cos(theta) where v is the total velocity at the point, and theta is the angle between the velocity vector and the normal vector.

3. What is the significance of normal velocity to the surface in Spherical Coordinate System?

The normal velocity to the surface is an important concept in fluid mechanics and aerodynamics. It helps in understanding the flow of fluids over curved surfaces and can be used to calculate important quantities such as lift and drag forces.

4. How does normal velocity to the surface differ from tangential velocity in Spherical Coordinate System?

Normal velocity to the surface is perpendicular to the surface, while tangential velocity is parallel to the surface. They are both components of the total velocity at a point, with normal velocity being the component in the normal direction and tangential velocity being the component in the tangential direction.

5. Can normal velocity to the surface be negative in Spherical Coordinate System?

Yes, normal velocity to the surface can be negative in Spherical Coordinate System. This indicates that the fluid is moving away from the surface at that point. A positive normal velocity indicates that the fluid is moving towards the surface.