Normal polygon area without trig functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenge of finding the area of a normal polygon with x sides inscribed in a circle of radius 1 without using any trig functions, e or pi, or infinite series. Suggestions such as breaking the polygon into triangles and using line integrals are mentioned, but it is acknowledged that these methods may still require trigonometry or be complicated for an arbitrary polygon. The possibility of using Taylor series is also mentioned.
guss
Here's an interesting problem: How can you find the area of any normal polygon with x sides (or corners) that is inscribed in a circle of radius 1? No trig functions, or things like e or π (Pi), or infinite series, are allowed. If possible, try to avoid summation notation as well, but that might be required.

Normally, you could just break the normal polygon up into triangles, and add the area of each one of those. But, of course, this would use trig functions (at least the way I'm thinking of).

Any way to do this?

This would be especially cool because as x approaches infinity, the area would approach pi.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, we know that the area of a regular n-gon inside of a circle of radius 1 is:

[tex]\frac{n}{2}sin(\frac{2\pi}{n})[/tex]

I can't think of anyway to take away the trigonometry from this, unless you want to allow taylor series. Triangulation is a good idea, but unfortunately, it becomes complicated if you're dealing with an arbitrary n-gon. You would need an algorithm for determining how to slice the polygon into triangles.

I also looked on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triangle and you can use line integrals to compute the area of an arbitrary polygon. I don't know too much about this method though.

I was thinking of dividing each shape up into a bunch of right triangles.

Related to Normal polygon area without trig functions

1. What is a normal polygon?

A normal polygon is a geometric shape with straight sides and angles, where all sides are of equal length and all angles are of equal measure. It is also known as a regular polygon.

2. What is the formula for finding the area of a normal polygon without using trigonometric functions?

The formula for finding the area of a normal polygon without using trigonometric functions is area = ½ * n * s2 * cot(180°/n), where n is the number of sides and s is the length of each side.

3. Can the area of a normal polygon be found without using trigonometric functions?

Yes, the area of a normal polygon can be found without using trigonometric functions. The formula for finding the area of a normal polygon without using trigonometric functions involves using the cotangent function.

4. Why is it important to know the area of a normal polygon?

Knowing the area of a normal polygon is important in many fields of study, such as mathematics, architecture, and engineering. It allows for accurate measurements and calculations in various applications, such as determining the amount of material needed for construction or finding the capacity of a container.

5. Can the formula for finding the area of a normal polygon without using trigonometric functions be applied to any polygon?

No, the formula for finding the area of a normal polygon without using trigonometric functions can only be applied to regular polygons, where all sides and angles are equal. For irregular polygons, trigonometric functions may be necessary to find the area.