Normal modes / Rod on a string

In summary, the question asks about the frequencies of normal modes of oscillation for a vertically hanging rod attached to an inelastic string. The answer is given by the equation \omega^2 = (5 \pm \sqrt{19})g/a, and can be derived using the Lagrangian formulation of mechanics, taking into account the motion of the rod both horizontally and vertically. However, as this is a 2nd year undergraduate level question and the asker has not learned about Lagrangian mechanics yet, it may not be a wise use of their time to attempt this problem.
Plutoniummatt

Homework Statement

A uniform rod of length a hangs vertically on the end of an inelastic string of
length a, the string being attached to the upper end of the rod. What are the
frequencies of the normal modes of oscillation in a vertical plane?

Answer: [tex]\omega^2 = (5 \pm \sqrt{19})g/a[/tex]

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried a few attempts, all failed, like trying to take 2 pivots, one at the top of the string, one at the string-rod interface, or the rod COM, and trying to use torque and such like...no successes, so if someone could push me in the right direction, I would be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wrote down a Lagrangian in terms of two coordinates, the angle the string makes with the vertical and the angle the rod makes with the vertical. Using small angle approximations, I was able to derive those normal mode frequencies.

What level course is this for?

2nd year undergrad, we haven't done Lagragian mechanics yet though...

I will try it anyway...How can I express the translational Kinetic energy of the rod?

Last edited:
ok, is it:

[tex](1/2)I\dot{\phi}^2 + (m/2) (d/dt((a/2)sin\phi + asin\theta))^2[/tex]

I is the moment of inertia of rod about 1 end, (1/3)ma^2

phi is the angle the rod is to vertical

theta is angle of string to vertical

and once i haven't the lagragian in terms of the angles, do I minimize the action or?

Last edited:
You've only included its motion in the horizontal direction; you need to account for its motion vertically too. Also, you have to subtract the potential energy to get the Lagrangian.

But as you haven't learned about the Lagrangian formulation of mechanics, I don't think this is going to be a very wise use of your time. (Besides, I just kind of hand-waved my way to the answer from piecing together stuff from my old classical mechanics homework. I wouldn't be able to explain why my guess worked.)

Related to Normal modes / Rod on a string

1. What are normal modes in the context of a rod on a string?

Normal modes refer to the different ways in which a rod on a string can vibrate. These modes are determined by the natural frequencies of the rod, which are dependent on its length, mass, and tension.

2. How are normal modes calculated for a rod on a string?

The normal modes for a rod on a string can be calculated using the formula: f = (n/2L)x√(T/ρ), where f is the frequency, n is the mode number, L is the length of the rod, T is the tension, and ρ is the density of the rod.

3. What is the difference between the fundamental mode and higher modes in a rod on a string?

The fundamental mode is the lowest frequency at which the rod can vibrate, and it has a single node (point of zero displacement). Higher modes have more nodes and higher frequencies.

4. How do normal modes affect the sound produced by a rod on a string?

The different normal modes of a rod on a string correspond to different harmonics of a single fundamental frequency. This results in a complex sound with overtones and creates the unique timbre of the instrument.

5. Can the normal modes of a rod on a string be altered?

Yes, the normal modes of a rod on a string can be altered by changing its physical properties, such as length, mass, and tension. This can be achieved by adjusting the placement of frets on a string instrument or changing the thickness of the string.