Normal Modes - Pendulum on a Moving Block

In summary: After everything, I got:Homework Statement A block of mass M can move along a smooth horizontal track. Hanging from the block is a mass m on a light rod of length l that is free to move in a vertical plane that includes the line of motion of the block. Find the frequency and displacement patterns of the normal modes of oscillation of the system firstly by `spotting' the normal modes of the system and then secondly by writing the Lagrangian L = T - U for the system and solving the Euler-Lagrange equations.
Plutoniummatt

Homework Statement

A block of mass M can move along a smooth horizontal track. Hanging from the
block is a mass m on a light rod of length l that is free to move in a vertical plane
that includes the line of motion of the block. Find the frequency and displacement
patterns of the normal modes of oscillation of the system firstly by `spotting' the
normal modes of the system and

then secondly by writing the Lagrangian L = T - U
for the system and solving the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\delta L}{\delta\dot{q}_i} = \frac{\delta L}{\delta\dot{q}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Mode 1- Translation
Mode 2- Pendulum swings, at the same time the Block also oscillates from side to side?

Kinetic Energy:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} M\dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2}ml^2\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

Potential Energy:

[tex]mg(l - l cos\theta)[/tex]

Then write down the Lagrangian as L = T-U

applying the Euler-Lagrange equations for variables [tex]x[/tex] and [tex]\theta[/tex]

I get [tex]M\dot{x} = 0[/tex]

and for the [tex]\theta[/tex] coordinate, I just get the trivial pendulum equation...with [tex]\omega = \sqrt{g/l}[/tex]

Is that it? because this doesn't seem to have yielded me the answer they're looking for I guess...

Physics news on Phys.org
Plutoniummatt said:

Homework Statement

A block of mass M can move along a smooth horizontal track. Hanging from the
block is a mass m on a light rod of length l that is free to move in a vertical plane
that includes the line of motion of the block. Find the frequency and displacement
patterns of the normal modes of oscillation of the system firstly by `spotting' the
normal modes of the system and

then secondly by writing the Lagrangian L = T - U
for the system and solving the Euler-Lagrange equations.

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\delta L}{\delta\dot{q}_i} = \frac{\delta L}{\delta\dot{q}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Mode 1- Translation
Mode 2- Pendulum swings, at the same time the Block also oscillates from side to side?

Kinetic Energy:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} M\dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2}ml^2\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]
Is that all? Aren't you missing a term here (for the hanging mass)?

Gokul43201 said:

am I?

isnt that taken into account by the second term?

Gokul43201 said:

aha! you mean by the translation of the hanging mass as well as the swinging right?

You've omitted the kinetic energy of the pendulum due to translation, for one thing. One approach to obtaining the Lagrangian is to write down the position of each mass, differentiate it with respect to time to get the velocity of the mass, and use that result to express the kinetic energy. For instance, the horizontal position of the mass m is equal to, using your symbols, [itex]x+l \sin\theta[/itex]. The horizontal component of its velocity is then [tex]\dot{x}+(l \cos\theta) \dot{\theta}[/tex]. You can already see the kinetic energy of mass m will have contributions from the pendulum's motion, from the whole system translating, and from a cross term.

vela said:
You've omitted the kinetic energy of the pendulum due to translation, for one thing. One approach to obtaining the Lagrangian is to write down the position of each mass, differentiate it with respect to time to get the velocity of the mass, and use that result to express the kinetic energy. For instance, the horizontal position of the mass m is equal to, using your symbols, [itex]x+l \sin\theta[/itex]. The horizontal component of its velocity is then [tex]\dot{x}+(l \cos\theta) \dot{\theta}[/tex]. You can already see the kinetic energy of mass m will have contributions from the pendulum's motion, from the whole system translating, and from a cross term.

can I write the KE as:

[tex]\frac{1}{2} m\dot{x}^2 + \frac{1}{2} ml^2\dot{\theta}^2[/tex]

or do I have to write it as x and y components?

When you include all the components, it'll reduce down to those two components plus, it appears, another cross term. That cross term is important because it corresponds to the interaction between system's translational motion and the oscillatory motion of the pendulum.

vela said:
When you include all the components, it'll reduce down to those two components plus, it appears, another cross term. That cross term is important because it corresponds to the interaction between system's translational motion and the oscillatory motion of the pendulum.

After everything, I got:

[tex]M \ddot{x} + m \ddot{x} + ml \ddot{\theta}cos \theta - ml\dot{\theta}^2 sin\theta = 0[/tex]

[tex]m \ddot{x} lcos\theta - m \dot{x} l \dot{\theta} sin \theta + ml^2 \ddot{\theta} - mglsin \theta = 0[/tex]

how the heck can I solve this?

I haven't actually worked it out, so maybe there's a better way, but this is what I'd try: One of the equations should have been d/dt(something)=0, so the something is a constant. You can use that to eliminate [itex]\dot{x}[/itex] from the other equation, leaving only [itex]\theta[/itex]s. You also want to assume [itex]\theta[/itex] is small, so you can use the small-angle approximations for sine and cosine.

Related to Normal Modes - Pendulum on a Moving Block

1. What is a "Normal Mode" in relation to a pendulum on a moving block?

A Normal Mode refers to a specific pattern of motion of a system, in this case, a pendulum attached to a block that is moving. It is a characteristic way in which the system oscillates, determined by the system's properties such as mass, stiffness, and damping. In simpler terms, it is the way in which the pendulum moves in response to the motion of the block.

2. How does the motion of the block affect the normal modes of the pendulum?

The motion of the block affects the normal modes of the pendulum by changing the frequency at which the pendulum oscillates. The frequency of the pendulum's motion is directly influenced by the velocity and acceleration of the block, which in turn are affected by the block's motion.

3. What is the significance of studying normal modes in a pendulum on a moving block?

Studying normal modes in this system can help us understand how different factors, such as the mass and velocity of the block, can affect the motion of the pendulum. It also allows us to predict the behavior of the system under different conditions and make adjustments to optimize its performance.

4. Can the normal modes of a pendulum on a moving block be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the normal modes of a pendulum on a moving block can be controlled or manipulated by changing the properties of the system. For example, altering the mass or stiffness of the pendulum or adjusting the velocity and acceleration of the block can change the normal modes and therefore, the motion of the pendulum.

5. What are some real-life applications of normal modes in a pendulum on a moving block?

Normal modes in this system have a wide range of applications, such as in mechanical engineering for designing and optimizing structures and machines. They are also used in seismology to study the behavior of earthquakes and in physics to understand the behavior of waves. Additionally, the principles of normal modes can be applied in musical instruments and architecture to create harmonious and stable structures.