Normal modes of a string NEED HELP

In summary, we discussed the boundary condition for a string with one end fixed at x=0 and the other end attached to a massless ring that moves along a rod at x=L. The boundary condition at x=L should be d/dx U(x,t) = 0, and the corresponding normal modes for the wave equation d2/dt2 U(x,t) = c2 * d2/dx2 U(x,t) were found by substituting in a sinusoidal equation and satisfying the initial boundary conditions. We also discussed how the boundary conditions and normal modes would change if the string was attached to a ring that moved vertically at one end. It was mentioned that the boundary condition for this scenario would be u(0,t)
suyoon
A string with one end fixed as U(x=0,t)=0. The other end is attached to a massless ring which moves frictionlessly along a rod at x=L
a) Explain the boundary condition at x=L should be d/dx U(x,t) = 0.
b) Find the normal modes for the wave equation d2/dt2 U(x,t) = c2 * d2/dx2 U(x,t) with the above boundary conditions.
c) Plot the three lowest frequency normal modes.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to show some work and at least put some effort into solving it before you can get help.

Waves on a finite string; normal modes

Let's say there is a string that is tied down at its both ends (at x=0 and x=L).
In order to satisfy the wave equation:
a2u/at2=c2*a2u/ax2,
the boundary conditions must be that:
u(0,t)=u(L,t)=0 for all times t, where u(x,t) denotes the displacement of the string.
By substituting in a sinusoidal equation:
u(x,t)=X(x)cos(wt-del), into the original wave equation, we get a general solution:
X(x)=a*cos(kx)+b*sin(kx),
and to satisfy the initial boundary conditions, X(0)=X(L)=0, so the nontrivial solution becomes:
u(x,t)=sin(kx)A*cos(wt-del), with k=n*pi/L (n=1,2,3,...), and w=n*pi*c/L.
This is for a string with both of its ends tied down.
But what if at one side, x=L, the string is attached to a ring on a vertical rod(frictionless) so it may move up and down, how would the boundary conditions change? and the corresponding normal modes?

Last edited:

suyoon said:
Let's say there is a string that is tied down at its both ends (at x=0 and x=L).
In order to satisfy the wave equation:
a2u/at2=c2*a2u/ax2,
the boundary conditions must be that:
u(0,t)=u(L,t)=0 for all times t, where u(x,t) denotes the displacement of the string.
By substituting in a sinusoidal equation:
u(x,t)=X(x)cos(wt-del), into the original wave equation, we get a general solution:
X(x)=a*cos(kx)+b*sin(kx),
and to satisfy the initial boundary conditions, X(0)=X(L)=0, so the nontrivial solution becomes:
u(x,t)=sin(kx)A*cos(wt-del), with k=n*pi/L (n=1,2,3,...), and w=n*pi*c/L.
This is for a string with both of its ends tied down.
But what if at one side, x=L, the string is free to move vertically (but not horizontally)?
How would the boundary conditions change? and the corresponding normal modes?

Then, [tex]\partial u/\partial x = 0[/tex] that is, derivate goes to zero. I think you will have no problem extracting eigen modes by yourself.

I think i made the question a little bit unclear.
what i meant by no horizontal movement is that the string may move up and down at just one end while the other end is still fixed.
so for the boundary condition, u(0,t) would still be 0, while u(L,t) will no longer be zero.

(two threads merged)

suyoon said:
I think i made the question a little bit unclear.
what i meant by no horizontal movement is that the string may move up and down at just one end while the other end is still fixed.
so for the boundary condition, u(0,t) would still be 0, while u(L,t) will no longer be zero.

You are right that the u(L,t) won't be 0. But just as xlines has said,

[tex]\frac{\partial u(L,t)}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]

yea.. i get the fact that
[tex]\frac{\partial u(L,t)}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]
, but what's the boundary condition in order to satisfy this?
and the normal modes?

That is the boundary condition. You need to solve the partial differential equation to get the normal modes.

nickjer said:
That is the boundary condition. You need to solve the partial differential equation to get the normal modes.

Yes, we do not do your work for you. Show us the differential equation, and your try at solving it.

Related to Normal modes of a string NEED HELP

What is a normal mode of a string?

A normal mode of a string refers to a specific pattern of vibration that a string can produce when it is plucked or struck. It is determined by the length, tension, and mass of the string.

How many normal modes does a string have?

A string has an infinite number of normal modes, but only a few are considered audible or relevant, depending on the length and properties of the string.

What is the relationship between the frequency and wavelength of a normal mode?

The frequency and wavelength of a normal mode are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa.

How do you calculate the frequency of a normal mode?

The frequency of a normal mode can be calculated using the formula f = nv/2L, where n is the mode number, v is the speed of the wave, and L is the length of the string.

Can normal modes of a string be used to produce different musical notes?

Yes, different normal modes of a string can produce different musical notes. The fundamental mode (n=1) produces the lowest note, and higher modes produce higher notes. By plucking or striking a string at different points, different normal modes can be activated to produce different musical pitches.