Normal force on horizontal plane

In summary, the normal force on a tilted motorcycle is still perpendicular to the surface, as it is defined to be. The net force on the bike must also be normal to the surface in order for the bike to make the turn. The Tower of Pisa does not accelerate when tilted, but in the case of the motorcycle, it does experience acceleration due to the normal force.
Niles

Homework Statement

Lets say that a person called A rides his motorcycle. When this person turns, he tilts his motorcycle on a horizontal road. Is the normal force still normal to the surface or does it point in the same direction as the person sitting on the bike?

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, here's my line of thought: I think it is still perpendicular to the horizontal road, because if it wasn't, then he would have a net force pointing inwards (not counting in centripetal force).

What I mean is: The Tower of Pisa doesn't accelerate just because it titls - am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Niles said:
Ok, here's my line of thought: I think it is still perpendicular to the horizontal road, because if it wasn't, then he would have a net force pointing inwards (not counting in centripetal force).
Well, by definition the normal force is perpendicular to the surface. :wink: I suppose you mean: Does the net force of the ground (normal plus friction) on the bike point normal to the surface? It better not, since that force must provide the centripetal force to make the turn.
What I mean is: The Tower of Pisa doesn't accelerate just because it titls - am I correct?
While the Tower of Pisa isn't accelerating, the motorcycle is.

I actually did mean whether the normal force on the tilted bike is normal to the plane or follows the biker.

But yes; as you say, it's "normal force" - so always normal to the surface, no matter if the object is tilted or not.

Related to Normal force on horizontal plane

1. What is the definition of normal force on a horizontal plane?

The normal force on a horizontal plane is the force exerted by a surface on an object that is in contact with it. It is always perpendicular to the surface and is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the force applied by the object on the surface.

2. How is the normal force affected by the weight of an object?

The normal force is directly proportional to the weight of an object. As the weight of an object increases, the normal force also increases. This is because the surface must apply a greater force to support the weight of the object.

3. Does the normal force always exist on a horizontal plane?

Yes, the normal force always exists on a horizontal plane as long as there is contact between the object and the surface. This is because the surface must support the weight of the object and prevent it from falling through.

4. How does the angle of inclination of a horizontal plane affect the normal force?

The normal force is affected by the angle of inclination of a horizontal plane in a similar way to the weight of an object. As the angle increases, the normal force also increases, as the surface must support the weight of the object at a steeper angle.

5. Can the normal force ever be greater than the weight of an object on a horizontal plane?

No, the normal force can never be greater than the weight of an object on a horizontal plane. This is because the normal force is always equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the weight of the object. If the normal force were to be greater, the object would accelerate upwards.