Normal distribution (Physics Lab)

In summary, the conversation discusses plotting a distribution curve using working means instead of a real mean. The main question is whether it is acceptable to plot a normal curve based on the standard deviation from the working mean and comparing it to another histogram using error from the working mean. The person also mentions finding a correction for the working mean to determine the estimate of the mean, which may be helpful for the task.
Oerg

Homework Statement

I was asked to plot a distribution curve, but before that we had to deal with working means instead of a real mean. So the problem is :is it ok to plot a normal curve based on the standard deviation from the working mean? We were asked to compare our results with antoher histogram that we were reqired to do. I used the error based on the working mean for that.

I'm sorry if I sound confusing, just asking if it is ok to do a error histogram and a normal curve with working means since we were never required to find out the real mean in the first place and all my error tables prepared show errors from the working mean as required.

Physics news on Phys.org
Oerg said:

Homework Statement

I was asked to plot a distribution curve, but before that we had to deal with working means instead of a real mean. So the problem is :is it ok to plot a normal curve based on the standard deviation from the working mean? We were asked to compare our results with antoher histogram that we were reqired to do. I used the error based on the working mean for that.

I'm sorry if I sound confusing, just asking if it is ok to do a error histogram and a normal curve with working means since we were never required to find out the real mean in the first place and all my error tables prepared show errors from the working mean as required.

Ex. 2 under 13. Fitting the Normal Distribution shows an example of determining a correction for the working mean to determine the estimate of the mean.

http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Fisher/Methods/chap3.htm

Perhaps that would be useful for your purposes?

I would say that it is acceptable to plot a normal curve based on the standard deviation from the working mean, as long as you clearly state and explain this approach in your analysis. However, it is always recommended to calculate and use the real mean whenever possible, as it provides a more accurate representation of the data. If you were not required to find the real mean in the first place, then using the working mean and its associated error would be a valid approach for your analysis. Just make sure to clearly explain your methodology and any limitations in your results. Additionally, comparing your results with another histogram using the same approach can provide valuable insights and support the validity of your findings.

Related to Normal distribution (Physics Lab)

1. What is a normal distribution?

A normal distribution is a probability distribution that is commonly used in statistics and data analysis. It is a bell-shaped curve that is symmetrical around the mean, with most values falling within one standard deviation of the mean and fewer values falling farther away from the mean.

2. Why is the normal distribution important in physics labs?

The normal distribution is important in physics labs because it represents a natural and common phenomenon in the physical world. Many physical measurements, such as length, time, and mass, tend to follow a normal distribution. By understanding the characteristics of a normal distribution, scientists can make more accurate predictions and interpretations of their experimental data.

3. How is the normal distribution related to the central limit theorem?

The central limit theorem states that as the sample size increases, the distribution of sample means tends to follow a normal distribution, regardless of the shape of the population distribution. This means that in physics labs, where scientists often take multiple measurements and calculate the mean, the resulting distribution will likely be normal.

4. How do you determine the mean and standard deviation of a normal distribution in a physics lab?

In a physics lab, the mean of a normal distribution can be determined by taking the average of all the measurements. The standard deviation can be calculated by finding the square root of the variance, which is the average of the squared differences between each measurement and the mean.

5. Can a distribution other than the normal distribution be used in physics labs?

While the normal distribution is commonly used in physics labs, other distributions such as the Poisson distribution and the binomial distribution may also be applicable depending on the specific experiment and data being analyzed. It is important for scientists to carefully consider the characteristics of their data before selecting an appropriate distribution to use.