Normal Approximation Problem Solving

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the binomial probability formula and the normal approximation to find the probability of Mike Weir winning a PGA golf tournament. The formula is used to find the probability of at least a certain number of successes out of a given number of trials. The conversation also mentions determining the values for the variables in the formula and the use of the normal distribution to approximate the binomial distribution for larger numbers of trials.
Math1015
I'm unsure on how to start this problem. I tried to make a tree diagram but to no avail did it help out.

Question:
On average, Mike Weir scores a birdie on about 20.9% of all the holes he plays. Mike is in contention to win a PGA golf tournament but he must birdie at least 4 holes of the last 6 holes he plays.Find the probability, as a percent correct to one decimal place, that Mike will win.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I would use:

[box=blue]
Binomial Probability Formula

$$P(x)={n \choose x}p^x(1-p)^{n-x}$$[/box]

Now, suppose we want to find the probability of at least $s$ successes out of $n$ trials...so if $X$ is this event, we may write:

\(\displaystyle P(X)=\sum_{k=s}^{n}\left({n \choose k}p^k(1-p)^{n-k}\right)\)

Can you identify $s,\,n,\,p$ for this problem?

The above approach is definitely correct for the exact answer. If you want a normal approximation then we'll use the following formula:

\(\displaystyle Z=\dfrac{Y-np}{\sqrt{np(1-p)}}\stackrel {d}{\longrightarrow} N(0,1)\)

I think from your class you should be able to tell us if you've covered the normal approximation to the binomial distribution yet. Once we know that, we can help you through either approach. :)

https://onlinecourses.science.psu.edu/stat414/node/179

I've for sure seen the binomial probability formula in class and we have covered that formula. I have not seen the other two however. The problem comes in when identifying values for each of the variables.

Last edited:
Math1015 said:
I've for sure seen the binomial probability formula in class and we have covered that formula. I have not seen the other two however.

I glossed over the phrase "Normal Approximation" in the thread title, and gave you the method for determining the exact answer. I do recall though, using the normal distribution to approximate the binomial distribution in the one elementary stats class I took long ago. I seem to remember only using it for much larger numbers of trials though, where using a sum such as I posted would be tedious to compute. :)

Related to Normal Approximation Problem Solving

1. What is "Normal Approximation Problem Solving"?

"Normal Approximation Problem Solving" is a statistical method used to estimate the probability of a certain outcome by approximating it to a normal distribution. It is commonly used when the sample size is large and the true distribution is unknown.

2. How is "Normal Approximation Problem Solving" different from other statistical methods?

Unlike other statistical methods, "Normal Approximation Problem Solving" assumes that the data follows a normal distribution. This allows for simplified calculations and provides a good estimate for the probability of a specific outcome.

3. When should "Normal Approximation Problem Solving" be used?

"Normal Approximation Problem Solving" is best used when the sample size is large (typically more than 30) and the true distribution is unknown. It can also be used when the data is continuous, since the normal distribution is continuous.

4. What are the limitations of "Normal Approximation Problem Solving"?

One limitation of "Normal Approximation Problem Solving" is that it can only be used for continuous data and assumes that the data follows a normal distribution. If the data does not follow a normal distribution, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, it is not suitable for small sample sizes.

5. How can I perform "Normal Approximation Problem Solving"?

To perform "Normal Approximation Problem Solving", you will need to know the mean and standard deviation of the data. You can then use a normal distribution table or a statistical software to calculate the probability of a specific outcome. Alternatively, you can use the formula z = (x - mean) / standard deviation and then use a z-table to find the probability.