Normal and tangential acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of normal acceleration and its relation to rotational motion. The question of why the normal acceleration is 6 rads^-1 is raised, but not explicitly stated in the problem. The conversation also mentions the need for an acceleration to maintain a circular trajectory and suggests consulting a textbook for more information on rotational motion.
werson tan

Homework Statement

why the normal acceleration is 6 rads^-1 ? It's not stated in the question , right?
Can someone explain more about normal acceleration? i couldn't understand it . I only know that when the rod is rotated , it has tangential acceleration

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• DSC_0360.JPG
    DSC_0360.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 409
  • DSC_0361.JPG
    DSC_0361.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 390
Physics news on Phys.org
werson tan said:

Homework Statement

why the normal acceleration is 6 rads^-1 ? It's not stated in the question , right?
Can someone explain more about normal acceleration? i couldn't understand it . I only know that when the rod is rotated , it has tangential acceleration
It's not stated in the question. But not in the solution either! Something has to keep G in a circular trajectory and that requires an acceleration ##\ \omega^2 r.\ \ \ ## That ##\,\omega## is given in the problem statement!

For the kinematics of rotational motion: this (only the comparison), that or any textbook ! Did I forget hyperphysics?

Last edited:

Related to Normal and tangential acceleration

1. What is the difference between normal and tangential acceleration?

Normal acceleration is the component of acceleration that is perpendicular to the object's path, while tangential acceleration is the component that is parallel to the object's path.

2. How are normal and tangential acceleration related to each other?

Normal and tangential acceleration are both components of the total acceleration of an object, which can be found using vector addition. They are related through trigonometric functions, where the total acceleration is the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the normal and tangential components.

3. What causes normal and tangential acceleration?

Normal acceleration is caused by changes in the direction of an object's velocity, while tangential acceleration is caused by changes in the magnitude of an object's velocity. These changes can be due to forces acting on the object, such as gravity or friction.

4. How is normal and tangential acceleration calculated?

Normal acceleration can be calculated using the formula an = v2/r, where v is the velocity of the object and r is the radius of its circular path. Tangential acceleration can be calculated using the formula at = dv/dt, where dv is the change in velocity and dt is the change in time.

5. In what direction do normal and tangential acceleration act?

Normal acceleration always acts towards the center of the circle, while tangential acceleration acts in the direction of the object's motion. This means that normal acceleration is always perpendicular to the object's path, while tangential acceleration is always parallel to the object's path.