Nonuniform circular motion problem

In summary, a 0.5kg ball is swinging in a vertical circle at the end of a 1.5m long string. When the ball is at the bottom of the circle, the tension in the string is 15N. To find the speed of the ball at that point, the equations ac=T/m and ac=v^2/r were used. However, the answer was incorrect and it was discovered that gravity was not taken into account. The tension includes the force of gravity, which must be considered in the calculation. A free body diagram can be used to determine the forces and resultant acceleration needed to solve the problem accurately.
doctorjuice

Homework Statement

0.5kg ball swings in a vertical circle at the end of a 1.5m long string. When the ball is at the bottom of the circle the tension in the string is 15 N. What is the speed of the ball at that point?

Homework Equations

ac=T/m
ac=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equations above, I solved for centripetal acceleration by taking the Tension (which =15N) and dividing it by the mass (0.5kg). This gave me 30 m/s^2. I next took the other equation stated above, plugged in all the numbers and solved for v, which = 6.71m/s. The answer in the back of the book was around 5.5m/s, I think. Anyway, I got the problem wrong and I can't see what I did wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm doing this in preparation for a test and really need to understand these problems. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
you're forgetting gravity.

haruspex said:
you're forgetting gravity.

Gravity would affect tension, right? If they say the tension is 15N at the bottom, aren't they including gravity?

doctorjuice said:
Gravity would affect tension, right? If they say the tension is 15N at the bottom, aren't they including gravity?
Yes, they are but you aren't. Draw the free body diagram. What are the forces and what is the resultant (to drive the required acceleration)?

It looks like you have correctly solved for the centripetal acceleration, but there may have been a mistake in your calculation for the speed. To find the speed of the ball, we can use the equation v=sqrt(ac*r), where ac is the centripetal acceleration and r is the radius of the circle (in this case, 1.5m). Plugging in the values, we get v=sqrt(30*1.5)=6.12m/s. This may be slightly different from the answer in the back of the book due to rounding or significant figures, but it is close enough to show that your method was correct. Keep in mind that it is always a good idea to double check your calculations and make sure you are using the correct units. Good luck on your test!

Related to Nonuniform circular motion problem

1. What is nonuniform circular motion?

Nonuniform circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path where the magnitude of the velocity changes at different points along the path. This means that the speed of the object is not constant, but rather varies as it moves along the circular path.

2. What causes nonuniform circular motion?

Nonuniform circular motion is caused by the presence of a centripetal acceleration, which is the acceleration that keeps an object moving along a circular path. This acceleration is directed towards the center of the circle and its magnitude is dependent on the speed and radius of the circular path.

3. How is nonuniform circular motion different from uniform circular motion?

In uniform circular motion, the speed of the object is constant, meaning the magnitude of the velocity remains the same throughout the motion. In nonuniform circular motion, the speed changes, and therefore the magnitude of the velocity also changes along the path.

4. How is nonuniform circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Nonuniform circular motion is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the second law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In nonuniform circular motion, the centripetal acceleration is caused by a net force acting towards the center of the circle.

5. How can nonuniform circular motion be calculated?

Nonuniform circular motion can be calculated using the equations for centripetal acceleration and centripetal force, as well as the equations for velocity and acceleration in circular motion. These equations take into account the variables of speed, radius, and mass of the object, as well as the net force acting on it. Additionally, numerical methods such as integration can be used to solve more complex nonuniform circular motion problems.