Nonlinear systems of differential equations

In summary: Ultimately, it will depend on the level of accuracy required for your estimate of tmax and which method you feel more comfortable using.
abbii42
I think I posted in the wrong section and will repost in the textbook/coursework section but don't know how to delete this. Although if you want to answer feel free.

The complete question I've been given:
The Rossler equations are formally defined as
dx/dt=−y−z
dy/dt=x+ay
dz/dt=b+z(x−c).
Let us suppose that a=0.2, b=0.2, c=5.7, x(0)=y(0)=z(0)=0, t∈[0,400].
Let v1(t) be the solution to the given initial value problem, and let v2(t) be the solution of the initial value problem with x(0)=0.001, y(0)=z(0)=0. Please find (analytically an estimate of the value of tmax>0 such that |v1(t)-v2(t)|<=1 for all t∈[0,tmax]. You may assume that max{|x(t)|,|y(t)|,|z(t)|}<=25 for all t.

Do I need to actually solve the equations and if so how?
If i don't then what do I need to do? would approximating the system by a linear one be in the right direction?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, you need to solve the equations in order to estimate the value of tmax. One approach to solving the equations would be to use numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta. Alternatively, you could approximate the system by a linear one (e.g. using the Taylor series expansion), which may make it easier to solve.

Related to Nonlinear systems of differential equations

What are nonlinear systems of differential equations?

Nonlinear systems of differential equations are mathematical models that describe the relationship between multiple variables that are changing over time. Unlike linear systems, the equations in nonlinear systems are nonlinear, meaning that they cannot be expressed as a linear combination of the variables. This makes them more complex and difficult to solve.

How are nonlinear systems of differential equations different from linear systems?

The main difference between nonlinear and linear systems of differential equations is that the equations in linear systems are linear, meaning that the variables are raised to the first power and can be expressed as a linear combination. This allows for easier solutions and more predictable behavior. Nonlinear systems, on the other hand, have equations that are nonlinear, making them more complex and unpredictable.

What are some real-world applications of nonlinear systems of differential equations?

Nonlinear systems of differential equations are used to model a wide range of phenomena in various fields, including physics, biology, economics, and engineering. For example, they can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, fluid flow, and electrical circuits.

How are nonlinear systems of differential equations solved?

Solving nonlinear systems of differential equations can be challenging and often requires the use of numerical methods or computer simulations. However, there are some techniques that can be used, such as separation of variables, substitution, and linearization, to simplify the equations and make them easier to solve.

What are the limitations of using nonlinear systems of differential equations?

Nonlinear systems of differential equations can accurately describe complex and nonlinear phenomena, but they also have limitations. They may not always have closed-form solutions, meaning that they cannot be solved algebraically. Additionally, the accuracy of the solutions can be affected by the initial conditions and parameters used in the model.