Nonlinear Regression: Best Software to Calculate a & b

In summary, the nonlinear regression software is not easy to find, but there is a free website that provides a list of options.
method_man
Hello.

Can anyone tell me what would be the best software to use for the nonlinear regression? I have an equation with two unknown parameters which I would like to find out. Equation looks something like this: f(x)=a*b*x/(1+b*x), where x and f(x) are known (several points) and I would like to calculate a and b. In other words, I need (nonlinear) fitting to these points.
I have been looking online for a MATLAB code, but I can't find it anywhere. Also excel would do the job.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let y = f(x). y/x = ab/(1+bx) or x/y = 1/(ab) + x/a = [itex]\beta + \alpha x[/itex] which is linear in [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Clearly a = [itex]1/\alpha[/itex] and b = [itex]\alpha / \beta[/itex].

EnumaElish said:
Let y = f(x). y/x = ab/(1+bx) or x/y = 1/(ab) + x/a = [itex]\beta + \alpha x[/itex] which is linear in [itex]\beta[/itex] and [itex]\alpha[/itex]. Clearly a = [itex]1/\alpha[/itex] and b = [itex]\alpha / \beta[/itex].
Thanks, but I have already done that. Like I said, I need nonlinear solution.

Last edited:
I may have misunderstood your purpose, but what makes you think that the nonlinear solution will be any different from the linear solution? And why would you want that, unless you're testing nonlinear software by gauging how close it gets to the linear solution?

I'd suggest SAS or Gauss even though both are likely to be expensive software. Did you check http://www.r-project.org/? It's free.

Last edited:
EnumaElish said:
I may have misunderstood your purpose, but what makes you think that the nonlinear solution will be any different from the linear solution? And why would you want that, unless you're testing nonlinear software by gauging how close it gets to the linear solution?

I'd suggest SAS or Gauss even though both are likely to be expensive software. Did you check http://www.r-project.org/? It's free.
I need to calculate it on both ways to compare results linear vs. nonlinear results.

Thanks for the software proposition, I'll give it a try. SPSS seems to be also good.

method_man said:
I have been looking online for a MATLAB code, but I can't find it anywhere

What about Matlab nlinfit command?

http://www.mathworks.com/help/toolbox/stats/nlinfit.html

You will/should get different results using nonlinear analysis. The linear and nonlinear solutions are identical only if the data contain no noise (which is a degenerate case that doesn't need regression analysis at all).

Last edited:
I have a general question about nonlinear equations, why do we say that the solution of a nonlinear equation is where the function intersects with the horizontal axis?
Is it because the vertical axis i s= 0?

The concept isn't limited to non-linear equations but is often used, I suspect because it's a great segway to using Newton's method. If we have a equation y = f(x) and you want to solve it (i.e. find x) for a specific value of y, say k, then the equation can be re-written as g(x) = f(x) - k = 0 and the solution is where g(x) is zero. It's really that simple.

This makes sense. It cleared one of my critical doubts.
Thanks! hotvette!

Related to Nonlinear Regression: Best Software to Calculate a & b

1. What is nonlinear regression and how is it different from linear regression?

Nonlinear regression is a statistical method used to model relationships between variables that do not follow a linear pattern. Unlike linear regression, which assumes a linear relationship between variables, nonlinear regression allows for more complex relationships between variables.

2. What is the best software for calculating the parameters a and b in nonlinear regression?

The best software for calculating the parameters a and b in nonlinear regression depends on your specific needs and preferences. Some popular options include R, MATLAB, and SPSS.

3. Can I use Excel for nonlinear regression analysis?

Yes, Excel has a built-in feature called "Solver" that can be used for nonlinear regression analysis. However, it may not be as robust as other specialized software programs.

4. How do I interpret the results of a nonlinear regression analysis?

The results of a nonlinear regression analysis typically include the estimated values for the parameters a and b, as well as the goodness-of-fit measures such as R-squared and p-values. These can be used to assess the strength of the relationship between variables and the overall fit of the model.

5. Can nonlinear regression be used for any type of data?

Nonlinear regression can be used for a wide range of data types, including continuous, binary, and count data. However, it is important to select the appropriate nonlinear model based on the shape of the data and the research question being addressed.