Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nonlinear PDE

ryo0071

Mar 6, 2013
Okay so I am working on this problem:

Solve \(\displaystyle xu_t + uu_x = 0\) with \(\displaystyle u(x, 0) = x.\)(Hint: Change variables \(\displaystyle x \rightarrow x^2\).)

However, I am not sure how to use the change of variables hint that is given or why it is needed. My thinking is that I could just use the method of characteristic as normal to get the solution. Any help is appreciated.

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Yes, I'm not sure why the hint is even suggested unless maybe you solved

$u_t + u u _x = 0,\;\; u(x,0)=f(x)$.

already. The method of characteristic will work fine. Are you familiar with this method?

chisigma

Feb 13, 2012
Okay so I am working on this problem:

Solve \(\displaystyle xu_t + uu_x = 0\) with \(\displaystyle u(x, 0) = x.\)(Hint: Change variables \(\displaystyle x \rightarrow x^2\).)

However, I am not sure how to use the change of variables hint that is given or why it is needed. My thinking is that I could just use the method of characteristic as normal to get the solution. Any help is appreciated.
The general solving procedure of a nonlinear PDE of the type...

$\displaystyle u_{t} + \varphi(u,x)\ u_{x} = f(x,t),\ u(x,0)= g(x)\ (1)$

... is the following. First we write the system of three ODE...

$\displaystyle \frac{d t}{d s}=1,\ t(0)=0$

$\displaystyle \frac{d x}{d s}= \varphi(u,s),\ x(0)= \xi$

$\displaystyle \frac{d v}{d s} = f(x,t),\ v(0)=g(\xi)\ (2)$

... then we solve (2) obtaining $\displaystyle t=t(s, \xi),\ x=x(s,\xi), v=v(s, \xi)$ and then $\displaystyle s=s(x,\ t), \xi=\xi(x,\ t)$. The solution of (1) is...

$\displaystyle u(x,\ t) = v \{s(x,\ t),\ \xi(x,\ t)\}\ (3)$

In Your case is $\displaystyle \varphi (u,\ x) = \frac{u}{x},\ f(x,t) = 0,\ g(x)=x$ so that the (2) becomes...

$\displaystyle \frac{d t}{d s}=1,\ t(0)=0$

$\displaystyle \frac{d x}{d s}= \frac{v}{s},\ x(0)= \xi$

$\displaystyle \frac{d v}{d s} = 0,\ v(0)=\xi\ (4)$

With a little of patience You solve (4) obtaining...

$\displaystyle t=s$

$\displaystyle v=\xi$

$\displaystyle x=\sqrt{2 s \xi + \xi^{2}}\ (5)$

If You invert (5) obtain...

$\displaystyle s=t$

$\displaystyle \xi = -t + \sqrt{t^{2} + x^{2}}\ (6)$

... and (6) permits You to write...

$\displaystyle u(x,\ t)= -t + \sqrt{t^{2} + x^{2}}\ (7)$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

ryo0071

Mar 6, 2013
Thank you both for the help. I was trying to use the hint but what was confusing me was that they used the same variable x for both parts of the change of coordinates (rather than doing something like \(\displaystyle x \rightarrow \eta^2\)). Anyway, I was able to solve it by method of characteristics without using the coordinate transform. Again, thank you both for the assistance.