Nonlinear ODE System: Computing w' & Finding R

In summary, to find the largest radius R for which the solution curve (u,v) is inside the circle, we need to determine the condition for W' to be monotonically decreasing. Using the chain rule, we found that W' = -2u2+2vu3. By simplifying this inequality and using the rule above, we can determine the conditions for u and v that will make W' negative, thus ensuring monotonically decreasing behavior.
zokomoko
Given the ODE system:
v' = u(u2-1)
u' = v-u

Define w=u2+v2. Compute w'.
Find the largest radius R for which u2+v2<R so that the if the solution curve (u,v) is inside that circle the solution tends to (0,0) as t--> +[tex]\infty[/tex]

Any guidance would be appriciated !

Physics news on Phys.org
First, use the chain rule of differentiation and the expressions for [itex]u'[/itex] and [itex]u'[/itex] to find [itex]w'[/itex]. Please show us the result of your work.

sorry I forgot to mention I only had difficulty with the second part of the question.

W'= 2uu'+2vv'=2u[v-u]+2v[u(u2-1)]=2vu-2u2+2vu3-2uv
W' = -2u2+2vu3

I think (but perhaps I'm mistaken) W is suppose to be a lyoponouv function and I'm suppose to find the radius R in which W is monotically decreasing thus proving that the origin is stable fixed point (so every solution tends to the origin) in the said circle.

so my problem is the second part, how to find the radius R in which W is monotically decreasing, if what I've written earlier is even correct..

thank you for your reply :-)

What is the condition so W(t) would monotonically decrease?

W'=-2u2+2vu3<0

v>0, u<0 no problem
v<0, u>0 no problem

u,v both positive or both negitive are problematic because W' can be positive in those regions, no ?

zokomoko said:
W'=-2u2+2vu3<0

v>0, u<0 no problem
v<0, u>0 no problem

u,v both positive or both negitive are problematic because W' can be positive in those regions, no ?

This is not correct.

Could you please elaborate ?

Simplify the inequality you got to get a simpler relation.

zokomoko said:
Could you please elaborate ?

You can factorize the inequality you got. Then use the following rule:

[tex]
A B < 0 \Leftrightarrow \left[\begin{array}{l}
\left\{\begin{array}{l}
A > 0 \\

B < 0
\end{array}\right. \\

\left\{\begin{array}{l}
A < 0 \\

B > 0
\end{array}\right.
\end{array}\right.
[/tex]

Related to Nonlinear ODE System: Computing w' & Finding R

1. What is a nonlinear ODE system?

A nonlinear ODE system is a set of differential equations that cannot be expressed in a linear form. This means that the equations contain nonlinear terms, making them more complex to solve compared to linear ODE systems.

2. How do you compute w' in a nonlinear ODE system?

To compute w' in a nonlinear ODE system, you can use numerical methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve approximating the solution by breaking the interval into smaller segments and calculating the slope at each point.

3. What is the significance of w' in a nonlinear ODE system?

W' represents the derivative of the solution w in a nonlinear ODE system. It is important because it describes the rate of change of w with respect to the independent variable, which is crucial in understanding the behavior of the system.

4. How do you find R in a nonlinear ODE system?

R is a constant in a nonlinear ODE system and can be found by using initial conditions or boundary conditions. These conditions provide information about the value of the solution at a specific point or interval, which can then be used to solve for R.

5. What are some real-world applications of nonlinear ODE systems?

Nonlinear ODE systems have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, they can be used to model complex systems such as weather patterns, population dynamics, and electrical circuits. They are also used in understanding the behavior of nonlinear systems in chaos theory.