Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting

In summary, the conversation discusses the implementation of a nonlinear least squares fitting algorithm for finding the rotation matrix and Euler Angles between two sets of 3D points. The formulas for this algorithm are derived from two articles and involve setting up matrices for the points and rotation, as well as computing the Jacobian. The main questions revolve around the calculation of d\beta and the updating of the angles at each iteration. After some trial and error, the individual is able to successfully implement the algorithm, but notes a discrepancy in the calculation of d\beta compared to the definition on a Wolfram page. They ask for clarification and confirmation on their approach.
nschaefe
Hello,

So I was hoping to get some help implementing a nonlinear least squares fitting algorithm. Technically this is an extension of my previous thread, however the problem I am having now is correctly computing the algorithm

So the problem definition is this:

Given two sets of n 3D points [itex]X_{i} = (X_{1},X_{2}...,X_{n})[/itex] and [itex]X^{'}_{i} = (X^{'}_{1},X^{'}_{2}...,X^{'}_{n})[/itex], where [itex]X^{'}_{i}[/itex] is the result of an applied rotation to [itex]X_{i}[/itex], find the corresponding rotation matrix and Euler Angles

The formulas I am following are from these two links:
Euler Angles Eqs 71 - 77 and NonLinear Least Squares Fitting

I am going to attempt to follow the convention of those articles. So first off I set up matrices X and X' as such

[itex]\begin{bmatrix}
x_{1} & x_{2} & x_{3}... & x_{n} \\
y_{1} & y_{2} & y_{3}... & y_{n} \\
z_{1} & z_{2} & z_{3}... & z_{n} \end{bmatrix}[/itex]

where [itex]x_{i},y_{i},z_{i}[/itex] are the components of [itex]X_{i} / X^{'}_{i}[/itex]

Next I have set up my rotation matrices as follows:

[itex] R_{x}(\theta_{x}) = \begin{bmatrix} 1 & 0 & 0 \\ 0 & cos(\theta_{x}) & -sin(\theta_{x}) \\ 0 & sin(\theta_{x}) & cos(\theta_{x}) \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

[itex] R_{y}(\theta_{y}) = \begin{bmatrix} cos(\theta_{y}) & 0 & sin(\theta_{y}) \\ 0 & 1 & 0 \\ - sin(\theta_{-}) & 0 & cos(\theta_{y}) \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

[itex] R_{z}(\theta_{z}) = \begin{bmatrix} cos(\theta_{z}) & -sin(\theta_{z}) & 0 \\ sin(\theta_{z}) & cos(\theta_{z}) & 0 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{bmatrix} [/itex]

Multiplied together:

[itex]R_{t} = R_{z}*R_{y}*R_{x}[/itex]

Next take matrix [itex]A[/itex] (which I take to the be rotation matrix [itex]R_{t}[/itex]) and turn it into a column vector called [itex]f[/itex]

Then the Jacobian [itex]J[/itex] of [itex]f[/itex] with respect to [itex]\theta_{x}, \theta_{y}, \theta_{z}[/itex] is computed

[itex]J*d\theta = df[/itex]

This is where the first article stops. Moving to the next article,

[itex]J[/itex] is [itex]A[/itex], [itex]d\theta[/itex] is [itex]d\lambda[/itex], and [itex]df[/itex] is [itex] d\beta [/itex] I presume. However, I will keep the original convention.

Finally, you get [itex]J^{T}*J*d\theta = J^{T}*d\beta[/itex]

so [itex] d\theta = (J^{T}*J)^{-1}*J^{T}*d\beta [/itex]
So my questions are these:

1. How do I form [itex]d\beta[/itex]? Right now I am taking my "guess" at the angles (will call this [itex]\theta_{xo,yo,zo}[/itex]) to compute [itex]R_{t0}[/itex].

Then [itex]d\beta = X^{'} - R_{t0}*X[/itex], and it is turned into a column vector just like [itex]R_t[/itex] is turned into [itex]f[/itex]. Is this correct?

2. When I compute my new angles, should it be

[itex]\theta_{x,y,z} = \theta_{x,y,z} + d\theta[/itex] or [itex]\theta_{x,y,z} = \theta_{x,y,z} - d\theta[/itex]

I have successfully programmed all of these steps into a VB.NET program, but the solution is not converging and I cannot figure out why.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
So I am realizing I think how I am calculating [itex]d\beta[/itex] / [itex]d\ f[/itex] is incorrect, as this should yield an equation that is a 3x3 matrix which is transformed into the 1x9 column vector. Can someone please explain how to find [itex]d\ f[/itex]? I am assuming it has something to do with this equation [itex] A = X^{'}X^{T}(XX^{T})^{-1} [/itex]. Thanks

So I think it figured it out, but it still seems strange. I took [itex] d\beta = R_{t}(\theta_{x},\theta_{y},\theta_{z}) - X^{'}X^{T}(XX^{T})^{-1} [/itex] where [itex] \theta_{x}, \theta_{y}, \theta_{z} [/itex] are updated at each iteration by [itex]\theta_{x,y,z} = \theta_{x,y,z} - d\theta_{x,y,z}[/itex], and it appears to be working.

However, it seems like it should actually be [itex] d\beta = X^{'}X^{T}(XX^{T})^{-1} - R_{t}(\theta_{x},\theta_{y},\theta_{z}) [/itex] as this matches the definition on the wolfram page [itex]d\beta_{i} = y_{i} - f_{i}(\lambda_{1},\lambda_{2},... \lambda_{i})[/itex], but the solution refuses to converge unless I write it as above.

Can anyone shed some light on this discrepancy and confirm I am calculating this correctly?

Last edited:

Related to Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting

1. What is Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting?

Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting is a statistical method used to estimate the parameters of a nonlinear model by minimizing the sum of the squares of the differences between the observed values and the predicted values from the model. It is commonly used in data analysis to fit curves or other nonlinear functions to data points.

2. How is Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting different from Linear Least Squares Fitting?

Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting differs from Linear Least Squares Fitting in that it allows for the fitting of nonlinear models, while Linear Least Squares Fitting is limited to linear models. Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting also involves an iterative process to find the best fit, while Linear Least Squares Fitting has a closed-form solution.

3. What are the advantages of using Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting?

Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting has several advantages, including the ability to fit a wide range of nonlinear models, robustness to outliers, and the ability to incorporate prior knowledge or constraints into the model. It also provides estimates of the uncertainty in the estimated parameters.

4. What are the limitations of Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting?

Despite its advantages, Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting also has limitations. One major limitation is that it is sensitive to the initial values chosen for the parameters, which can lead to poor fits if the initial values are not chosen carefully. Additionally, it may not converge to a solution if the model is too complex or if there are not enough data points.

5. What are some common applications of Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting?

Nonlinear Least Squares Fitting is commonly used in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It is used to fit growth curves, dose-response curves, and other nonlinear relationships. It is also used in image processing and computer vision for tasks such as image registration and feature extraction.