Nonlinear Least Squares C/C++ Code for Carpet Evaluation

In summary, there are a few options for performing non linear least squares in C/C++. One is using the program levmar, although it may not be well documented. Another option is to use Galahad, which is written in Fortran but can be used in C/C++ code. Additionally, there is Ipopt, a C++ library for nonlinear optimization. Finally, you can refer to the book Numerical Recipes in C, which offers algorithms for solving various problems including non linear least squares. However, the code cannot be copied without owning the book.
Simon666
Do you know of code (preferably C/C++) to do this for non linear least squares? i found a program called levmar on the internet, but it seems inadequately documented on how to use it and probably not so useful to my purposes.

My problem is evaluation of a carpet. The middle is worn out and it is laser scanned. i have a point cloud of about a couple of hundred thousand pointsand I need to model the following profile through it. Desired to find are the lengths l1, l2 l3, l4 (l5=width of carpet-l1-l2-l3-l4) and the height difference z. I have to find this using Least Squares Fitting. This seems quite non linear (unless maybe around good initial values which could be found) and the partial derivatives would also have to be determined approximatingly and numerically.

Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]-------------\                     /---------------     ^
              \-------------------/                     |  z[/FONT]
l1            l2         l3        l4         l5        |

Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Well there's galahad but it's in fortran
http://galahad.rl.ac.uk/

You can use it in C/C++ code though I believe.Also there's Ipopt for nonlinear optimization written in C++.
https://projects.coin-or.org/Ipopt

You might also want to check out Numerical Recipes in C
The book is available online (here - http://www.nrbook.com/a/bookcpdf.php) and it provides algorithms for a large number of problems including nonlinear least squares. You can't copy their code without owning the book though I believe.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any specific C/C++ code for nonlinear least squares in carpet evaluation. However, there are various libraries and packages available that offer implementation of this technique in different programming languages, including C/C++. Some popular options are GSL (GNU Scientific Library), NLopt, and Ceres Solver. These libraries offer a wide range of algorithms and functions for nonlinear least squares, and they have detailed documentation and examples to help users understand and use them effectively.

In terms of your specific problem of evaluating a worn-out carpet, it does seem like a nonlinear least squares approach would be appropriate. As you mentioned, finding good initial values for the parameters could greatly improve the convergence of the algorithm. It might be helpful to use some pre-processing techniques, such as smoothing or filtering, to clean up the point cloud before fitting the model. Additionally, there are methods for estimating partial derivatives analytically, which could also improve the accuracy and efficiency of the fitting process.

Overall, I suggest exploring the libraries mentioned above and experimenting with different algorithms and techniques to find the best fit for your specific problem. It may also be helpful to consult with a domain expert or seek assistance from a data analysis professional to guide you in your approach. Best of luck with your project!

Related to Nonlinear Least Squares C/C++ Code for Carpet Evaluation

1. What is nonlinear least squares?

Nonlinear least squares is a method used in statistics and data analysis to estimate the parameters of a nonlinear mathematical model. It involves finding the parameters that minimize the sum of squared differences between the model predictions and the observed data.

2. How does nonlinear least squares differ from linear least squares?

Linear least squares is used for models with linear relationships between the variables, while nonlinear least squares is used for models with nonlinear relationships. Nonlinear least squares also involves an iterative process to estimate the parameters, while linear least squares has a closed-form solution.

3. What is the purpose of using C/C++ code for carpet evaluation?

C/C++ code is used for carpet evaluation because it allows for efficient and accurate computation of the nonlinear least squares algorithm. This is especially important when dealing with large datasets or complex models.

4. Can nonlinear least squares be used for any type of data?

Nonlinear least squares can be used for any type of data, as long as the model being used is appropriate for the data. However, it is typically used for data with complex relationships and non-normal distributions.

5. Are there any limitations to using nonlinear least squares for carpet evaluation?

One limitation of using nonlinear least squares for carpet evaluation is that it requires an initial guess for the parameters, which can be difficult to obtain. Additionally, the algorithm may not converge or may converge to a local minimum instead of the global minimum, resulting in less accurate parameter estimates.