Nonelementary Integral Related Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two integrals, ∫sin(sinx)dx and ∫0xsin(sinx)dx, and whether they represent the same function. It is determined that the latter is a family of functions while the former is a single function, and it depends on the value of g(0) whether they are equivalent or not. The conversation also touches on the idea of defining a function using an integral with limits and the error function as an example.
megatyler30
Recently, I have looked into nonelementary integrals and I have a question.

When looking at ∫sin(sinx)dx, which I know cannot be represented as an elementary function, I wondered what the function would look like. Using mathematica, I was able to get a graph of f(x)=∫0xsin(sinx)dx. Does the represent the same function as ∫sin(sinx)dx? And more importantly, why? (Sorry about the bad formating for limits of integration)

Edit: From what I've seen, it is if and only if the function g(x)=∫sin(sinx)dx is 0 at x=0. If this was true, then how would one go about proving if g(0)=0 or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have one integral with limits 0 and x and another integral without limits. You need to clarify the relationship.

I am asking about the relationship between the two. The edit was from what I've seen from posts on here but I don't know if that's the relationship (may be incorrect or I may have interpreted the posts incorrectly).

Edit: Looked one of the posts over again.
In this case: f(x)=g(x)-g(0)
So still it depends on if g(0) is 0 or not.
If g(0)=0 then f(x)=g(x) if not then f(x)=g(x)+c where c=-g(x)
Is this thought process correct?

Last edited:
megatyler30 said:
I am asking about the relationship between the two.
Yes, but the question does not make sense. It is like asking about the relationship between x and 3.
An integral without limits does not have a value, an integral with limits does.

Okay let me clarify. I'm defining a function f(x) such that f(x)=∫0xsin(sinx)dx. This is no different than saying f(x)=∫0xsin(sin(t))dt since the variable in the function that the integral is being taken of is basically just a dummy variable, so t would be more clear. For example ∫0xsin(sint)dt=g(x)-g(0). So as an example, f(1)=∫0 1sin(sin(t))dt=g(1)-g(0) which IS a value. Anyways I guess by having to explain it both here and the edit, I figured out the answer to my question.

See the error function to see an example of a similarly defined function.

[tex]\int sin(sin(x))dx[/tex] is NOT a single function. It is a "family" of functions, all differing by numbers, not functions of x. [tex]\int_0^x sin(sin(x))dx[/tex] is one of those functions.

Yeah, I figured it out when explaining it to the other posters.

I did want some confirmation though, so thanks for the confirmation!

Related to Nonelementary Integral Related Question

What is a nonelementary integral?

A nonelementary integral is an integral that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions. These integrals often require more advanced techniques or approximations to solve.

Why are nonelementary integrals important?

Nonelementary integrals are important because they arise frequently in mathematical models and real-world applications. They can also provide insight into the structure and behavior of more complex functions.

What are some techniques for solving nonelementary integrals?

Some techniques for solving nonelementary integrals include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric identities. Other methods, such as numerical integration, may also be used to approximate the value of a nonelementary integral.

Can all nonelementary integrals be solved?

No, not all nonelementary integrals can be solved exactly. Some integrals may be unsolvable or only have solutions in terms of special functions. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the value of the integral.

How can nonelementary integrals be applied in real life?

Nonelementary integrals can be used to solve problems in physics, engineering, economics, and other fields that involve mathematical models. They can also be used to calculate areas, volumes, and other quantities in real-world situations.