Nonconducting surface uniform charge hole

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the electric field at a point, P, that is a distance z from the center of a circular hole in a large nonconducting surface with a uniform charge density σ. The solution involves considering the electric field from both the surface and the hole, and finding the net field at P. The conversation also briefly touches on how to delete threads.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

Didn't know what to put for thread title, my notes and textbook were a little to ambiguous

A large, flat, nonconducting surface carries a uniform charge density σ. Into the middle of this sheet has been cut a small, circular hole of radius R. Ignoring fringing fields from the edges, calculate the electric field at a point, P that is a distance z from the center of the hole along its axis. hint: consider the electric field from a sheet of charge and the electric field from a disk of charge
edit** nevermind i was being dumb, i got it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can consider the large, flat, nonconducting surface carries a uniform charge density +σ

and the hole as a disc carrying a uniform charge density -σ.

The electric field due to the surface is

[tex]E_1 = \frac{+\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

The electric field due to the disc is

[tex]E_2 = \frac{-\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}(1 - \frac{z}{\sqrt{z^2 + r^2}})[/tex]

Now find the net field at P.

rl.bhat said:
You can consider the large, flat, nonconducting surface carries a uniform charge density +σ

and the hole as a disc carrying a uniform charge density -σ.

The electric field due to the surface is

[tex]E_1 = \frac{+\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

The electric field due to the disc is

[tex]E_2 = \frac{-\sigma}{2\epsilon_{0}}(1 - \frac{z}{\sqrt{z^2 + r^2}})[/tex]

Now find the net field at P.

that is exactly how i did it. thanks, i finished it yesterday, but I'm not sure how to delete threads

Related to Nonconducting surface uniform charge hole

What is a nonconducting surface?

A nonconducting surface is a material that does not allow the flow of electric current through it. This can also be referred to as an insulator.

What is uniform charge on a surface?

Uniform charge on a surface means that the electric charge is evenly distributed across the entire surface. This can occur naturally or can be artificially created through a process called charging by induction.

What is a charge hole on a nonconducting surface?

A charge hole on a nonconducting surface refers to a location on the surface where there is an absence of charge. This can occur when an object with a different charge is brought close to the surface, causing the charges to redistribute.

How does a nonconducting surface with uniform charge holes behave?

A nonconducting surface with uniform charge holes behaves as an insulator, meaning that it does not allow the flow of electric current. However, the presence of charge holes can affect the overall electric field and potential on the surface.

What are the practical applications of nonconducting surface uniform charge holes?

Nonconducting surface uniform charge holes have various applications, including in the field of electronics, where they are used in capacitors and dielectric materials. They can also be utilized in electrostatic precipitators, which remove particles from gases, and in electrostatic spraying, where they help evenly distribute a charged substance onto a surface.