Forces and Motion Challenging Qs

In summary: But keep in mind that this is a simplified calculation and does not take into account other factors such as the Earth's oblateness and varying gravitational pull at different latitudes.
Saad
Assume that the Earth is a perfect sphere of diameter 1.274 X 10^7 m. If an object has a weight of 100 N while on a scale at the south pole, how much will it weigh at the equator? Assume that the equatorial spin speed, v = 465 m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
Saad,

Forum rules state that you should at least attempt the problem before you ask for help on a problem.

If you have attempted them, please post what you've tried, so we can find where your misunderstandings or confusions lie.

Us doing the problem for you isn't going to help you learn it.

Gravity pulls stuff towards earth. Velocity of Earth tries to throw away from earth. Weight at the poles is due to 100% gravity.

weight at equator = 100N - mv^2/r

Plzz helpp

I tried this question the way i was told to..but i dunt think it works..please help

Variables:
r = 1.274 X 10^7 m
v = 465 m/s
Weight = 100N at South Pole
Mass = F / g = 100N / 9.8 = 10.2kg

Gravity pulls stuff towards earth. Velocity of Earth tries to throw away from earth. Weight at the poles is due to 100% gravity.

Weight at equator = 100N - mv^2/r
= 100N – (10.2kg)(465 m/s)^2 / 1.274 X 10^7 m
= 100N – 2205495 / 1.274 X 10 ^7 m
= -2205395 / 1.274 X 10 ^7
= -0.173N
Therefore the weight of the object at the equator is –0.173N?

Using the numbers you gave, I get 99.82688422

Ohh my badd..your right...but is the mass i used in the equation rite?
and also..does this answer seem approriate, because it is still approximately 100N.

Yes your mass is right and the answer is reasonable.

What is a force?

A force is a push or a pull that causes an object to move, change direction, or stop. Forces can also affect the shape or size of an object.

What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced forces?

Balanced forces are equal in size and opposite in direction, resulting in no change in an object's motion. Unbalanced forces are unequal in size and cause an object to accelerate in the direction of the larger force.

What is Newton's First Law of Motion?

Newton's First Law of Motion, also known as the Law of Inertia, states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

What is Newton's Second Law of Motion?

Newton's Second Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass.

What is Newton's Third Law of Motion?

Newton's Third Law of Motion states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This means that when a force is applied to an object, the object will apply an equal and opposite force back.