Non Student Teaching Self Physics: Question about Science Programming Languages.

In summary, the speaker has taught themselves Calculus and Freshman physics using textbooks and is now interested in learning physics software. They have questions about the relevance of learning C, the next most physics-oriented programming software, and whether it is possible to learn C in Visual C++. They also express a love for physics and a desire to continue learning without access to a lab. They are recommended to use Python for its ease of use and a computer algebra system like Mathematica.
deltapapazulu
My situation is that I taught myself Calculus 1, 2 and some 3 over the last year, and the better part of Freshman physics for majors, mechanics and EM. I bought 4 texts to learn from: Halliday, Tipler, Giancoli, and Young and Freedman. And I just started learning Diff. Eq. & Linear Algebra.

The next logical step I thought (aside from buying some Sophomore physics texts) was to learn some physics software. Fortran was a word I kept seeing in that regard. That is the only reason I started with that. But I keep hearing that it is outdated. Here are some questions:

1. Are there any advantages to learning C? If not then I won't waste my time with it.
2. What is the next most Physics oriented programming software other than Fortran? Matlab is of course something I desire to learn but don't have the money to purchase a legal copy at this point.
3. (along a different vein) I love the hell out of physics and want to continue teaching myself till it stops being interesting. I have plenty of time. I am a night security guard without a family. But I am 40 years old and really don't have the option to go back to school in physics right now, and I don't have access to laboratories. Is there a since in which you can't really learn physics without lab? What really attracts me is the software side of things. Is there a legitimate way to be into physics with only books and a computer at your disposal?
CFDFEAGURU said:
Here is a link that you can download C# from.
4. Is C#(C-sharp) relevant to science programming?
5. Is it possible to learn C (original) in Visual C++. Can it be an environment strictly for C programming? Of course I am going to learn C++ as well but am just wondering whether C is worth my time.

Technology news on Phys.org
deltapapazulu said:
1. Are there any advantages to learning C? If not then I won't waste my time with it.
If you are interested in how computers work it is vital. It's main practical use is if you ever have to o low level controllers or embedded micro stuff.

2. What is the next most Physics oriented programming software other than Fortran? Matlab is of course something I desire to learn but don't have the money to purchase a legal copy at this point.
Octave is a free version of MATLAB - I thinkit's pretty much 100% compatible except for graphics
There isn't really a single favorite anymore C++/Python/matlab are all widely used.

4. Is C#(C-sharp) relevant to science programming?
Not really

5. Is it possible to learn C (original) in Visual C++. Can it be an environment strictly for C programming? Of course I am going to learn C++ as well but am just wondering whether C is worth my time.
If you call the file .c it will be compiled as c. C++ (except for a few details) is a superset of C - a C program will still be a valid C++ program

Just use python. There are hardly any languages that let you write code faster. And that is what you want: something where you can throw together a program of colliding circles and watch their speeds thermalize in a few lines without worrying about data types or memory. On the other hand I recommend some type of computer algebra system. Mathematica is the gold standard, but maybe you can find a free alternative.

Related to Non Student Teaching Self Physics: Question about Science Programming Languages.

1. What are some common programming languages used in science?

Some common programming languages used in science include Python, R, MATLAB, Java, and C++. These languages are used for data analysis, simulations, and statistical analysis.

2. Can I use any programming language for scientific research?

While there is no strict rule on which programming language to use for scientific research, some languages are more commonly used due to their efficient and specialized libraries and packages for scientific computing. It is important to choose a language that best suits your research needs.

3. Do I need to be an expert in programming to use scientific programming languages?

No, you do not need to be an expert in programming to use scientific programming languages. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and syntax will be helpful in utilizing these languages for scientific research.

4. Are there any free resources for learning scientific programming languages?

Yes, there are many free resources available for learning scientific programming languages. Online tutorials, video lectures, and interactive platforms like Codeacademy and Coursera offer free courses on various scientific programming languages.

5. Can I use scientific programming languages for non-scientific purposes?

Yes, scientific programming languages can be used for non-scientific purposes as well. These languages have a wide range of applications, including web development, data analysis, and artificial intelligence. However, they may not be the most efficient choice for non-scientific tasks compared to other specialized programming languages.