Non-standard induced connection

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of obtaining a Levi-Civita connection on a hypersurface of Euclidean space through orthogonal projection of ordinary derivatives of vector fields onto the tangent space. It then explores the idea of using a non-zero transverse vector field and projection with respect to this vector field to induce a compatible geometry. There is a mention of potentially calculating an example on a sphere and determining if the geometry is torsion-free, as well as a comparison to pulling back the Levi-Civita connection for a different metric on R^3.
lavinia
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A hypersurface of Euclidean space obtains its Levi-Civita connection by orthogonal projection
of ordinary derivatives of vector fields in Euclidean space onto the hypersurface's tangent space.

Suppose rather than the unit normal, there is a non-zero transverse vector field and orthogonal projection is replaced by projection with respect to this vector field. What sort of geometry comes from this?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid we need to calculate to say what happens ( or even whether a compatible geometry is induced by such a field). Could you share a worked-out example?

Eynstone said:
I'm afraid we need to calculate to say what happens ( or even whether a compatible geometry is induced by such a field). Could you share a worked-out example?

It was just an idea but sure I will try to construct an example on the sphere and get back to you.

I wonder if these geometries are even torsion free.

Hmm, how is this any different than pulling back the Levi-Civita connection for a different metric on R^3? I.e. if I declare the vector field to be orthogonal to the tangent space of the sphere, you would be getting a (perhaps different) Riemannian connection. Whether it's the Riemannian connection for the round metric on S^2 depends on whether the pullback metric is the same.

In any event, I'm quite certain it would be torsion-free.

Related to Non-standard induced connection

What is non-standard induced connection?

Non-standard induced connection refers to a type of connection or relationship between two or more variables in a scientific study that is not typically observed or expected. It may arise due to various factors such as measurement errors, sampling bias, or confounding variables.

How is non-standard induced connection different from a standard connection?

A standard connection is a relationship between variables that is commonly observed and supported by existing scientific evidence. Non-standard induced connection, on the other hand, is an unexpected or unusual relationship that may require further investigation to understand its underlying causes.

Can non-standard induced connection be considered a causal relationship?

It is important to note that non-standard induced connection does not necessarily imply causation between the variables. It may be a result of other factors and not a direct cause-and-effect relationship. Further research and analysis are required to determine the true nature of the relationship.

How can non-standard induced connection affect the results of a study?

If not properly accounted for, non-standard induced connection can lead to biased or misleading results in a scientific study. It is important for researchers to carefully consider and address any potential non-standard induced connections in their data analysis and interpretation.

What are some methods to identify and address non-standard induced connection in a study?

There are various statistical methods and techniques that can be used to identify and address non-standard induced connection, such as regression analysis, multivariate analysis, and sensitivity analysis. It is also crucial for researchers to carefully design their study and control for potential confounding variables to minimize the impact of non-standard induced connection on their results.