What are some user-friendly programs for writing math equations?

• Thread starter mattmns
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programs
In summary, the conversation discusses various programs for writing math and suggests LaTeX as the best option for typesetting. The conversation also mentions other programs such as Mathematica and provides a link to MikTeX for Windows users. Finally, it is mentioned that LaTeX is also available in Unix environments and has capabilities beyond just typesetting.
mattmns
What are some good programs to write math in? I do not like using microsoft word because it seems like a pain. Also I do not really want a program that solves what I write. I would just like a program to write math. Anybody know of one? Thanks, Matt

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The one the pros use is LaTex. There are also freeware products, but they are a pain to set up and use (correct me if I'm wrong! If anyone knows of an easy to use workable freeware math text editor, please let us know).

LaTeX is definitely the way to go, and freely available. It does take a little getting used to though.

You should be able to use something like Mathematica, but I'm not sure that it can be convinced not do the actual calculations.

LaTeX is really the only way to fly for math typesetting, and it's not really THAT hard to learn. If you have ever done even rudimentary HTML, you'll understand LaTeX syntax pretty quickly.

The best Windows-based implementation of LaTeX is called MikTeX, and is available here in one bundle:

http://www.miktex.org/

Also, LaTeX is usually present in just about any Unix environment.

There are also tools to convert .dvi files (which are LaTeX's raw output) to .png and other formats for inclusion on the web or in other kinds of documents. LaTeX has more than enough oomph to typeset entire books, however -- and it's a LOT more capable of flexible and less annoying than products like MS Word.

- Warren

Originally posted by NateTG
You should be able to use something like Mathematica, but I'm not sure that it can be convinced not do the actual calculations.
For the faint of heart, Mathematica actually includes a filter than can write out a Mathematica notebook in LaTeX notation.

- Warren

What are the most commonly used programs to write math?

The most commonly used programs to write math are LaTeX, Microsoft Word, MathType, Maple, and Wolfram Mathematica.

What is LaTeX and why is it popular among mathematicians?

LaTeX is a typesetting language and document preparation system commonly used for writing mathematical and scientific documents. It is popular among mathematicians because it allows for precise and complex mathematical equations and symbols to be easily formatted and displayed.

Is Microsoft Word suitable for writing math?

While Microsoft Word does have some basic math editing features, it is not generally considered suitable for writing complex mathematical equations. It is better suited for simple equations or documents that contain a mix of text and math.

What is the purpose of MathType?

MathType is a powerful equation editor that is commonly used in conjunction with other programs, such as Microsoft Word, to create and format complex equations. It allows for easy input of mathematical symbols and equations, and also has advanced features for customization and formatting.

Can programs like Maple and Wolfram Mathematica perform calculations as well as write math?

Yes, programs like Maple and Wolfram Mathematica are not only used for writing math, but also have powerful computational capabilities. They can perform complex calculations, generate graphs and visualizations, and solve equations, making them popular among mathematicians, scientists, and engineers.