What Is the Term for Models That Can't Scale Accurately in All Ratios?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of modelling that cannot accurately scale an item in all its ratios, using examples from the solar system and subatomic world. The speaker has tried to find a term for this but has been unsuccessful. They suggest possible terms such as non-scale modelling, logarithmic scale, semi-log and log-log graphs, but are unsure if these are the correct terms.
Dr Wu
I understand there's a term (which I can no longer recall) for the kind of modelling that cannot accurately scale an item in all its ratios. A classic example are those standard images one sees of the solar system. One might get the distances between the planets right, but unless a room the size of a small country is available, one will be hard pushed to visually reproduce the diameters of the planets themselves to the same scale. The identical problem also applies to the subatomic world. I have tried googling an answer, but keep drawing a blank. Perhaps there is no such term. My memory, though, tells me otherwise, but refuses to divulge the answer. Non-scale modelling? The logarithmic scale? I'm really guessing now.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Dr Wu said:
I understand there's a term (which I can no longer recall) for the kind of modelling that cannot accurately scale an item in all its ratios. A classic example are those standard images one sees of the solar system. One might get the distances between the planets right, but unless a room the size of a small country is available, one will be hard pushed to visually reproduce the diameters of the planets themselves to the same scale. The identical problem also applies to the subatomic world. I have tried googling an answer, but keep drawing a blank. Perhaps there is no such term. My memory, though, tells me otherwise, but refuses to divulge the answer. Non-scale modelling? The logarithmic scale? I'm really guessing now.
What comes to mind to me is semi-log and log-log graphs. Not sure if this is what you're looking for.

Related to What Is the Term for Models That Can't Scale Accurately in All Ratios?

What is "Non-Scale Terminology Query"?

"Non-Scale Terminology Query" refers to a query or search for information that is related to non-scale terminology, which involves terms or words that are not associated with a numerical or quantitative scale.

Why is "Non-Scale Terminology Query" important in scientific research?

"Non-Scale Terminology Query" is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to find and analyze information that may not be related to measurable or numerical data. This can provide valuable insights and perspectives that may not be captured through traditional quantitative methods.

How is "Non-Scale Terminology Query" different from a regular search query?

"Non-Scale Terminology Query" differs from a regular search query in that it specifically focuses on non-scale terminology, rather than general information. This means that the results will be more targeted and relevant to the specific topic being searched.

What are some examples of "non-scale terminology" in scientific research?

Examples of "non-scale terminology" in scientific research may include qualitative data, descriptive language, and subjective observations. It can also encompass terms related to emotions, perceptions, and opinions.

How can "Non-Scale Terminology Query" be applied in different fields of science?

"Non-Scale Terminology Query" can be applied in various fields of science, such as social sciences, psychology, and humanities, where non-quantitative data is commonly used. It can also be useful in fields like biology and environmental science, where descriptive language and observations play a significant role in understanding complex systems and phenomena.