Non-radial geodesics in Schwarzschild spacetime

In summary: It's possible, but I don't think there is a rigorous proof of it. It's possible, but I don't think there is a rigorous proof of it.
timmdeeg
Gold Member
Consider a non-radial timelike geodesic outside the event horizon. Will it nevertheless cross the horizon radially or are non-radial geodesics also possible inside? I couldn't find any reference regarding a possible angle dependence in this respect.

Physics news on Phys.org
The angular momentum will prevent it from crossing the event horizon "radially". Inside the horizon you have to realize that "radially" as in "in the direction of the r coordinate" is not a spatial direction, but a temporal one. However, to answer your question, there will naturally be geodesics where the angular coordinats ##\theta## and ##\varphi## are not fixed.

Orodruin said:
The angular momentum will prevent it from crossing the event horizon "radially". Inside the horizon you have to realize that "radially" as in "in the direction of the r coordinate" is not a spatial direction, but a temporal one. However, to answer your question, there will naturally be geodesics where the angular coordinats ##\theta## and ##\varphi## are not fixed.
Thanks. Does it mean that the proper time to reach the singularity will exceed ##\tau={\pi}GM/c^3## (for the radial trajectory) depending on the angular coordinates? And if yes, is there an upper bound? It would be great if you could show the respective formula.

timmdeeg said:
Thanks. Does it mean that the proper time to reach the singularity will exceed ##\tau={\pi}GM/c^3## (for the radial trajectory) depending on the angular coordinates? And if yes, is there an upper bound? It would be great if you could show the respective formula.
To be honest, I have not thought much about it, but I would not think so. My intuitive feeling is that it would actually decrease the proper time to reach the singularity.

We had a recent thread touching on this. The longest possible proper time for any timelike worldline from horizon to singularity is attained by a radial geodesic corresponding to a drop from just outside the horizon. There is an exercise in MTW establishing this.

PAllen said:
The longest possible proper time for any timelike worldline from horizon to singularity is attained by a radial geodesic corresponding to a drop from just outside the horizon.

IIRC the discussion in that other thread, the paper linked to there, and the MTW exercise, only considered radial motion.

PeterDonis said:
IIRC the discussion in that other thread, the paper linked to there, and the MTW exercise, only considered radial motion.
No, MTW exercise 31.4 does not restrict itself to radial motion. That the maximizing geodesic is radial is something to conclude, not assume.

PAllen said:
MTW exercise 31.4 does not restrict itself to radial motion.

Ah, ok. I'll check it out when I have a chance to dig out my copy of MTW.

PeterDonis said:
Ah, ok. I'll check it out when I have a chance to dig out my copy of MTW.
I thought all copies of MTW had collapsed to black holes by now ... if so you might have difficulties getting the information out ... :wink:

Likes PeterDonis
Orodruin said:
I thought all copies of MTW had collapsed to black holes by now ... if so you might have difficulties getting the information out ... :wink:
I thought MTW disproved the principle of equivalence - it falls faster than everything else.

Likes Orodruin and PeterDonis
PAllen said:
I thought MTW disproved the principle of equivalence - it falls faster than everything else.

Hmm...maybe I'll dig up my copy of Wald as well as MTW and run the experiment. I'll need a vacuum chamber, though, to be sure I've eliminated possible confounding factors. :wink:

Likes Orodruin
PAllen said:
No, MTW exercise 31.4 does not restrict itself to radial motion. That the maximizing geodesic is radial is something to conclude, not assume.
Thanks for mentioning that. In exercise 31.4 MTW note the hint: ... show that the geodesic of longest proper time lapse between ##r=2M## and ##r=0## is the radial geodesic, ...

Could one argue heuristically (having the light cone inside the event horizon in mind) that the proper time lapse of timelike non-radial geodesics decrease and approach ##0## as their trajectory approaches the null geodesics?

Related to Non-radial geodesics in Schwarzschild spacetime

1. What are non-radial geodesics in Schwarzschild spacetime?

Non-radial geodesics in Schwarzschild spacetime refer to the paths that particles take in the curved spacetime around a non-rotating, spherically symmetric object, such as a black hole. These paths are determined by the spacetime curvature caused by the massive object.

2. How are non-radial geodesics different from radial geodesics?

Radial geodesics refer to the paths that particles take when moving directly towards or away from the massive object. Non-radial geodesics, on the other hand, refer to the paths that particles take when moving at an angle to the direction of the massive object, resulting in a curved trajectory.

3. What is the significance of studying non-radial geodesics in Schwarzschild spacetime?

Studying non-radial geodesics in Schwarzschild spacetime is important for understanding the behavior of particles in the vicinity of massive objects, such as black holes. It also helps in studying the effects of gravity on the motion of objects in the universe.

4. How are non-radial geodesics calculated in Schwarzschild spacetime?

The calculation of non-radial geodesics in Schwarzschild spacetime involves solving the geodesic equation, which describes the motion of a free particle in curved spacetime. This equation takes into account the spacetime curvature caused by the massive object and the particle's initial position and velocity.

5. Can non-radial geodesics be observed in real life?

Yes, non-radial geodesics have been observed in various astrophysical phenomena, such as the bending of light around massive objects, the orbits of stars around black holes, and the gravitational lensing effect. These observations provide evidence for the predictions of general relativity regarding the behavior of particles in the curved spacetime around massive objects.