Non-physics major's classes for physicist

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on the best courses to take as an aspiring physicist, besides the usual courses in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. They are currently pursuing a chemistry major but plan to double major in physics and chemistry and are considering an additional year to obtain a major in applied mathematics. They are wondering if this would be beneficial for graduate school or if it would be better to focus on getting a physics major and entering a PhD program. Some recommended courses for experimental physicists are advanced calculus, numerical analysis, partial differential equations, ordinary differential equations, discreet dynamical systems, and statistical analysis. The speaker suggests not spending an extra year in undergrad and instead focusing on obtaining a physics major and entering a PhD program.
arrowpusher96
Hello,

Given essentially unlimited time and financial support, what do you think would be the best courses an aspiring physicist should take undergrad to be best prepared(Other than the normal CM,EM,QM,etc.)to become a researcher in experimental physics?

I've been working on a chemistry major for a couple of years(I've completed ochem 2 and am in analytical chem.) and it's essentially too late to abandon it(I transferred to a different school, meaning I can't minor in chem.) but I'm planning on double majoring in physics and chem and am looking for additional things to learn.

I know math and computer science are super important, and I feel a little weak on both of those with what I'm going to be taking. With 1 additional year, I can obtain a major in applied mathematics, which would allow me to take 15 additional credits of computer science and 15 additional credits of maths.

Do you think that would be time well spent, or would that be better spent in graduate school? Would that shorten the number of classes/things I'd have to learn in grad school(Assuming going for a Ph.D in physics.)?

The math classes above diffy q and linear algebra are below.

Advanced Calculus,
Numerical Analysis,
Senior Thesis
2 of the following:
Partial Differential Equations,
Ordinary Differential Equations
Discreet Dynamical Systems

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, after Ordinary Differential Equations, one would take courses in Partial Differential Equations and Multivariable Calculus, and probably Linear Analysis and Numerical Analysis. Also, for an experimentalist, a course in statistical analysis would be appropriate - and multivariable calculus would be a precursor.

Why do you want to spend a whole extra year in undergrad? Get your Physics Major and get out into a PhD programme. IMO having spent so long to get your undergrad will more than cancel out any benefits you will get from having a more well rounded approach. By all means, take as much math and cs as you can, they'll only help, but not at the expense of a Physics curriculum. There are plenty of successful physicists who haven;t acquired all of these extra degrees.

Related to Non-physics major's classes for physicist

1. What classes should a non-physics major take to become a physicist?

In order to become a physicist, it is recommended to take foundational courses in mathematics, including calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. Additionally, courses in introductory physics, mechanics, and electromagnetism are essential. Depending on your specific interests within physics, you may also want to take classes in quantum mechanics, thermodynamics, and statistical mechanics.

2. Can a non-physics major take advanced physics courses?

Yes, it is possible for a non-physics major to take advanced physics courses. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in math and introductory physics before attempting advanced courses. It is also recommended to speak with a physics advisor to determine if you meet the prerequisites for the course.

3. Are there any benefits to taking physics classes as a non-physics major?

Yes, there are several benefits to taking physics classes as a non-physics major. Physics courses can improve problem-solving skills, critical thinking abilities, and mathematical proficiency. These skills are valuable in many fields and can make you a more well-rounded and competitive job candidate.

4. Is it necessary to take all the required physics courses to become a physicist?

While taking all the required physics courses is recommended, it is not always necessary to become a physicist. Depending on your specific career goals, you may be able to specialize in a certain area of physics and focus on specific courses that align with your interests. However, having a strong foundation in all areas of physics can make you a more versatile and knowledgeable physicist.

5. Are there any online options for non-physics majors to take physics classes?

Yes, there are many online options for non-physics majors to take physics classes. Many universities offer online courses and degree programs in physics, and there are also online platforms that offer individual physics courses. It is important to ensure that the online course is accredited and meets the necessary requirements for your academic and career goals.