Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition

In summary, the bottle moves with velocity (.866 c) relative to the Earth classically and relativistically.
stefan10

Homework Statement

(d) A spaceship moves with velocity (4/5)c relative to Earth. The astronaut throws his empty beer bottle out the window with velocity (3/5)c relative to the ship in the sideways direction. What is the velocity of the bottle (magnitude and direction) relative to the Earth (i) classically, (ii) relativistically?

Homework Equations

Velocity Addition (relativistic)

[tex]u_x = \frac {u_x' + v}{1 + \frac{v}{c} \frac{u_x'}{c}} [/tex]

[tex]u_y = \frac {u_y' + v}{\gamma (1 + \frac{v}{c} \frac{u_x'}{c})} [/tex]

Pythagorean Theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

I just want to know if I've done this correctly. This is a problem on a practice exam.

For the classical portion I just used the Pythagorean theorem [tex] \sqrt {(\frac{4c}{5})^2 + (\frac{3c}{5})^2} = c [/tex]

For the relativistic portion I use the Velocity Addition equations. I use [tex]v = \frac{4}{5}c = u_x' [/tex]and [tex]u_y' = \frac{3}{5}c [/tex]

This gives:

[tex]u_y = \frac{15}{41}c [/tex]

and using the Pythagorean theorem with u_x = (4/5)c I get [tex] \frac{13}{15}c = .866 c [/tex]I am embarrassed to say that I only think it's the right answer because it looks like it would be. Conceptually I have no idea why I would set both u_x' and v equal to 4/5 c. Can anybody explain if I did get it correct, and if I didn't how I might get the correct answer? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
stefan10 said:
[tex]u_y = \frac {u_y' + v}{\gamma (1 + \frac{v}{c} \frac{u_x'}{c})} [/tex]

This equation cannot be correct. For the case ##u_y' = 0## what would you expect ##u_y## to be?

Other than your result for ##u_y##, I think the rest of your work looks good (as far as method).

EDIT: I now see another error. You wrote
[tex]v = \frac{4}{5}c = u_x' [/tex]

Shouldn't ##u_x' = 0##? Relative to the ship, the bottle moves only in the y' direction.
Maybe you meant to write [tex]v = \frac{4}{5}c = u_x [/tex]. That would give you the value ##u_x## = ##\frac{4}{5}c## that you used later.

Last edited:
Ah nevermind, I see what I did wrong the first time when I tried it with u_x' = 0. I must've been tired and reduced the fraction incorrectly, making it seem as if my final result was incorrect. Also the U_y equation I posted was not the one I used, it's a typo from copying and pasted the latex code for U_x and forgetting to delete (+v). Thank you very much, I have the correct answer now to be, (481)^(1/2)c/25 = .877 c

Related to Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition

1. What is Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition?

Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition is a mathematical concept used in special relativity to calculate the combined velocity of two objects that are moving in different directions. It takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction, which occur at high speeds, and allows for an accurate calculation of velocity in a relativistic system.

2. How is Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition different from classical velocity addition?

In classical physics, velocity addition is a simple vector addition where the velocities of two objects are added together. However, in special relativity, this method does not account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction. Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition takes these effects into consideration and provides a more accurate calculation of combined velocities at high speeds.

3. What is the formula for Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition?

The formula for Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition is v = (u + v) / (1 + (u*v/c^2)), where v is the combined velocity, u and v are the individual velocities, and c is the speed of light. This formula takes into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction at high speeds.

4. Can Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition be applied to any speed?

Yes, Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition can be applied to any speed, as long as the objects are moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light. At lower speeds, the classical velocity addition formula can be used as the effects of relativity are negligible.

5. What are the real-world applications of Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition?

Non-parallel Relativistic Velocity Addition has various applications in modern physics, including particle accelerators, space travel, and GPS systems. It is also an essential concept in understanding the behavior of light and other electromagnetic waves in a relativistic system.