Non-Negative Reals and Inequality: A Proof of xy+yz+zx-xyz≤2

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary: By the Cauchy inequality, we have $4=x^2+y^2+z^2+xyz \ge 4\sqrt{x^3 y^3 x^3}$ so$xyz \le 1$ (1)Then, $xy+yz+zx-xyz \le x^2 +y^2 +z^2 -1$ (since (1) and $x^2+y^2+z^2 \ge xy+yz+zy$) (I think you already know how to prove it)Thus, $xy+yz+zx-xyz \le 4-xyz-1 \le
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Let $x,\,y,\,z$ be non-negative reals such that $x^2+y^2+z^2+xyz=4$.

Prove that $0\le xy+yz+zx-xyz\le 2$.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
By Cauchy inequality, we have $4=x^2+y^2+z^2+xyz \ge 4\sqrt{x^3 y^3 x^3}$
so $xyz \le 1$ (1)
Then, $xy+yz+zx-xyz \le x^2 +y^2 +z^2 -1$ (since (1) and $x^2+y^2+z^2 \ge xy+yz+zy$) (I think you already know how to prove it)
Thus, $xy+yz+zx-xyz \le 4-xyz-1 \le 4-1-1 =2$
So the right part of the given inequality is proved. But I still have no idea how to prove the other part...:( Can anyone continue ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyle said:
By Cauchy inequality, we have $4=x^2+y^2+z^2+xyz \ge 4\sqrt{x^3 y^3 x^3}$
so $xyz \le 1$ (1)
Then, $xy+yz+zx-xyz \le x^2 +y^2 +z^2 -1$ (since (1) and $x^2+y^2+z^2 \ge xy+yz+zy$) (I think you already know how to prove it)
Thus, $xy+yz+zx-xyz \le 4-xyz-1 \le 4-1-1 =2$
So the right part of the given inequality is proved. But I still have no idea how to prove the other part...:( Can anyone continue ?

Hi Kyle,

Thank you for participating and partially proving correct of the given inequality. Also, I believe you meant by using the AM-GM inequality to imply that

$\dfrac{x^2+y^2+z^2+xyz}{4} \ge \sqrt[4]{x^3 y^3 x^3}$ and since we're told that $x^2+y^2+z^2+xyz=4$ thus we have

$1 \ge \sqrt[4]{x^3 y^3 x^3}\rightarrow\,\,\therefore xyz \le 1$, am I correct?

I encourage you to think harder on how to prove for the left side inequality and I will be waiting for your answer.:cool:

Oh! Thanks for showing me my mistake. It was AM-GM, not Cauchy inequality haha ;)
The left part of the solution is complex :(

Hi,

A way for the other inequality.

From $xyz\leq 1$ you can assume $x\leq 1$
factor $xy+yz+xz-xyz=y(x+z-xz)+xz$ and now is trivial.

Fallen Angel said:
Hi,

A way for the other inequality.

From $xyz\leq 1$ you can assume $x\leq 1$
factor $xy+yz+xz-xyz=y(x+z-xz)+xz$ and now is trivial.

I don't think it is clear.Can you prove it carefully? If you say so, when xy+yz+zx-xyz is equal to 0? I mean x=? y=? z=?

Hi Kyle,

Without loss of generality you can assume $x\leq z \leq y$ (It's a strange order, but just chosen for fit my post above)
From equation $xyz\leq 1$ you know that at least one of them is less or equal than one, so $x\leq 1$
Now you got $y(x+z-xz)+xz$, and $x+z\geq z \geq xz$ because the statement says that $x,y,z\geq 0$ so both terms are non-negative and so is the sum.
The equality will hold if and only if $x=z=0$

Hi Kyle and Fallen Angel,

Sorry for the late reply.:( I will show the other method to prove this inequality, and I am sure both of you and the readers will find it to be another piece of good solution to "read", just like how smart the solution you and Fallen Angel have shown us.:cool:

Solution of other:

For the LHS:

Note that we cannot have $x,\,y,\,z>1$. Suppose $z\le 1$. Then we have

$xy+yz+zx-xyz\ge xy+yz+zx-xy=z(x+y)\ge 0$

For the RHS:

By AM-GM inequality, we have $4=x^2+y^2+z^2+xyz\ge 4(xyz)^{\dfrac{3}{4}}\rightarrow\,\,\therefore xyz\le 1$.

By the pigeon hole principle, among three non-negative reals, either two exceed 1 or two are at most 1. Hence we assume

$(x-1)(y-1)\ge 0$, which gives $xy+1\ge x+y$

Thus we have

$xyz+z\ge xz+yz$

$z\ge xz+yz-xyz$

Now, we have

$xy+yz+zx-xyz\ge xy+z$

Either we are done or $xy+z>2$.

But in the latter case, $4=(x^2+y^2)+z(z+2xy)>2xy+2z=2(xy+z)>4$, a contradiction and we're done.

Related to Non-Negative Reals and Inequality: A Proof of xy+yz+zx-xyz≤2

1. What does the inequality "0≤xy+yz+zx-xyz≤2" represent?

This inequality represents a mathematical statement that compares the values of 0, xy+yz+zx, and xyz, with the boundaries of 0 and 2. It is used to analyze the relationship between three variables in an equation.

2. How is this inequality proven?

This inequality can be proven using algebraic manipulation and mathematical properties such as the AM-GM inequality. By rearranging the terms and applying these properties, the inequality can be simplified and proven to hold true.

3. What are the implications of this inequality in scientific research?

This inequality has implications in various fields of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It can be used to analyze relationships between multiple variables in equations and can also be applied in optimization problems.

4. Can this inequality be applied to real-world scenarios?

Yes, this inequality can be applied to real-world scenarios where three variables are involved and their values need to be compared. For example, in economics, this inequality can be used to analyze the relationship between costs, revenues, and profits.

5. Is there any significance to the bounds of 0 and 2 in this inequality?

Yes, the bounds of 0 and 2 have specific meanings in this inequality. The lower bound of 0 signifies that the values cannot be negative, while the upper bound of 2 represents a limit or a maximum value that the sum of the three variables can reach.