Non-linear function - Cubic and Quadratic functions

Well, it's good that you've been able to solve quite a few, but then, we would want you to understand the process and have a strong foundation on the basics so that you can solve more. What I can suggest is that you go back to your book or notes where this topic is discussed and review the process. If you get stuck at certain parts, then ask help. And also, it is good to have a study group :slight_smile: But for now, let's focus on the problem.Going back, we are to solve the two situations:1. Maximum profit occurs when a < 02. Maximum profit occurs when a > 01. Maximum profit occurs when a <
wilfredkwok
1. i am stuck

2. The profit function is given by P=-2x^2 + 60x - 250, where x units is the quantity and P the total profit. Find the maximum profit and the number of units where maximum profit occurs. Sketch the curve of the profit function.

3. i can't do anything, my brain just jammed

ps, sorry, i do not know where to post

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. i am stuck

]2. The profit function is given by P=-2x^2 + 60x - 250, where x units is the quantity and P the total profit. Find the maximum profit and the number of units where maximum profit occurs. Sketch the curve of the profit function.

3. i started by factorize, but it doesn't work

PS, i am new, i do not know where to post. sorry

Last edited:
wilfredkwok said:
1. i am stuck]2. The profit function is given by P=-2x^2 + 60x - 250, where x units is the quantity and P the total profit. Find the maximum profit and the number of units where maximum profit occurs. Sketch the curve of the profit function.
3. i started by factorize, but it doesn't work

PS, i am new, i do not know where to post. sorry

You found the right place to post :smile:

Since this is a quadratic function with a negative coefficient of x2 (the -2 is the coefficient) then it'll have a maximum at some x value. The way we can find this x-value and its corresponding P value is by completing the square.
Do you know how to do that?

Do you know how to differentiate the function?

I do not know, i am on private studies, my lecturer just throw a book and assignments to me, and he ask me do it myself, i solve quite a few, left 2 question, thanks to youtube, where else this topic i find it confusing.

can u help me?

Then you cannot use differentiation.

Another method is to try to sketch the graph of P against x. Assume some values for x and find the value of P for each value of x. Then see how the graph goes and try to find the value of x where P attains its maximum value.

wilfredkwok said:
The profit function is given by P=-2x^2 + 60x - 250, where x units is the quantity and P the total profit. Find the maximum profit and the number of units where maximum profit occurs. Sketch the curve of the profit function.

i started by factorize, but it doesn't work
P = -2x2 + 60x - 250
It looks like you gave up too soon, my friend. The polynomial is certainly factorable. The first thing one should always try when factoring is to factor out the greatest common factor. What is the greatest common factor in this case?

is it something like this?:

-2x^2 + 60x - 250 = P

-2(x^2 -30x + 125 = P

this rest i am stuck

I said ...'Assume some values for x and find the value of P for each value of x'.

erm...

p+250=60x-2x^2
p+250=x(60-2x)
x must be >1 and <30
Hence max x is 15.

p = 15(60-2(15))-250 = 200

wilfredkwok said:
is it something like this?:

-2x^2 + 60x - 250 = P

-2(x^2 -30x + 125) = P

this rest i am stuck
(missing a parenthesis :wink:)

Good. Now, what you have inside the parentheses is a trinomial in the form of
x2 + bx + c

All you need are two factors of c whose sum is b. For example,
x2 - 6x - 16 = (x - 8)(x +2)
The factors of -16 whose sum is -6 are -8 and 2. (-8 x 2 = -16, -8 + 2 = -6)

In your case,
P = -2(x2 - 30x + 125)
you need factors of 125 whose sum is -30. What are the two factors?

Find the values of the function intersects the x-axis.
The mid point of intersection is the value of x where P is maximum.

How did you conclude that x must be >1 and <30?

-25 and -5 ?

Thanks! i got it

Umm... Finding the factors does help get you the answer if you know what to do with them when you get there, but completing the square is a direct method that spits out the answer straight away.

You are correct that a parabola is symmetric about its vertex. That is, if, for two values of x, the y value is the same number, the vertex is half way between them.

The standard way to find the maximum or mminimum values for a quadratic (the vertex of the parabola) is to complete the square. Here, we have [itex]y= -2(x^2- 30x+ 125)[/itex].

A "perfect square" is always of the form [itex](x- a)^2= x^2- 2ax+ a^2[/itex]. Comparing that to our polynomial, we see that we have 2a= -30 so that a= -15 and [itex]a^2= 225[/itex]. [itex]y= -2(x^2- 30x+ 225- 100)= -2(x- 15)^2+ 200= 0[/itex]. When x= 15, x- 15 will be 0 so that y= 200. When x is any number other than 15, x- 15 is non-zero, its square is positive, and we are subtracting it from 200 so y will be less than 200. That is, the maximum value of y is 200 and that happens when x= 15.

Last edited by a moderator:

The question was reposted here, and reported. OP, please don't repost the same thread in different subforums.

wilfredkwok said:
I do not know, i am on private studies, my lecturer just throw a book and assignments to me, and he ask me do it myself, i solve quite a few, left 2 question, thanks to youtube, where else this topic i find it confusing.

can u help me?

The function P(x) = ax^2 + bx + c has (1) a minimum (but no maximum) if a > 0 (its graph looks like that of y = x^2, shifted up or down and left or right); or (2) a maximum (but no minimum) if a < 0 (its graph looks like that of y = -x^2, shifted up or down and left or right).
[If a = 0 it has neither a maximum nor a minimum if b ≠ 0.]

So, take the case a < 0, where you want to find the maximum---without using calculus, which you have not taken yet!. What is the largest possible value of P(x) = ax^2 + bx + c? That will be the largest value v for which the equation P(x) = v has a root; if v is too large, it will exceed the maximum of P and the equation will have no root. If v is smaller than the maximum possible value, the equation will have TWO roots. (Just think of plotting the two graphs y = P(x) and y = v, which intersect at two points---the two roots of the equation.)

How can you identify the maximum? Well, imagine plotting the graph y = P(x) and then imagine moving the line y = v up and up until it just touches the graph of y = P(x) at a single point, say for the value v = v0. If you take v > v0 the two graphs will not intersect at all, so v is larger than the max of P. If v < v0, the two graphs have two intersection points, and so v can be increased a bit and still intersect P; that is, v is less than the maximum of P. Therefore, the maximum of P(x) occurs when the equation P(x) = v has a single root.

The equation is ax^2 + bx + c = v, or ax^2 + bx + (c-v) = 0. If you solve this using the quadratic formula, you get an expression with a "±" in it, corresponding to the two roots. You have a single root when the expressions have ± 0 in them, and that tells you what must be the relationship between a, b, c and v: you must have b2-4a(c-v)=0. From that you get both the value of v = v0 (the maximum value) and of x (the location of the maximum).

RGV

Related to Non-linear function - Cubic and Quadratic functions

1. What is a non-linear function?

A non-linear function is a mathematical equation that does not have a constant rate of change. This means that the output values do not increase or decrease at a consistent rate as the input values change.

2. What is a cubic function?

A cubic function is a type of non-linear function that can be represented by the equation f(x) = ax^3 + bx^2 + cx + d where a, b, c, and d are constants. This function has a degree of 3, meaning the highest exponent in the equation is 3.

3. What is a quadratic function?

A quadratic function is another type of non-linear function that can be represented by the equation f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c. It has a degree of 2, meaning the highest exponent in the equation is 2.

4. How do you graph a cubic function?

To graph a cubic function, you need to plot enough points to see the shape of the curve. You can also find the x-intercepts, y-intercept, and any local maximum or minimum points. These points can then be connected to create a smooth curve.

5. What is the difference between a cubic and a quadratic function?

The main difference between a cubic and a quadratic function is their degree. A cubic function has a degree of 3, while a quadratic function has a degree of 2. This means that a cubic function will have a more curved graph compared to a quadratic function, which will have a more parabolic shape.