Prove this wrong with the laws of thermodynamics

In summary, while it is technically possible to use the thermal energy of the ocean, it is not economically feasible due to the low efficiency and high costs associated with the technology. Additionally, the laws of thermodynamics prevent the spontaneous transfer of energy from a cooler substance to a warmer substance, making it difficult to harness the thermal energy of the ocean in a useful way.
DaffyZeeDucky
How to prove this wrong with the laws of thermodynamics?

Since our ocean has a huge amount of thermal energy ... Why is it not possible to put this thermal energy into useful work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Actualy it is possible

and people have tried to exploit ocean thermal energy, but it is very low grade so it requires large equipment and sea water is very corrosive which makes it not very feasible.

Originally posted by DaffyZeeDucky
How to prove this wrong with the laws of thermodynamics?

Since our ocean has a huge amount of thermal energy ... Why is it not possible to put this thermal energy into useful work?

all the thermodynamic books i have read tell me that this is immpossible. we have (and never expect to observe) the spontanious release of energy from an cool object to a warmer object. i believe i heard that someone did the calculations and it turned out that we will observe a single monkey on a single typewriter type the complete works of shakespear apox.100,000,000 times in succession (without error) before we ever observe the above mentioned effect. and even if we could, we wouldn't. lowering the temerature of the ocean would increase the amount of ice in the polars and lower the ocean depth.

Originally posted by maximus
all the thermodynamic books i have read tell me that this is immpossible. we have (and never expect to observe) the spontanious release of energy from an cool object to a warmer object. i believe i heard that someone did the calculations and it turned out that we will observe a single monkey on a single typewriter type the complete works of shakespear apox.100,000,000 times in succession (without error) before we ever observe the above mentioned effect. and even if we could, we wouldn't. lowering the temerature of the ocean would increase the amount of ice in the polars and lower the ocean depth.

Maximus, the ocean has many regions where relatively warm water overlays much colder water and people have actualy built plants that use this temperature difference. But they haven't proved economic because of construction and maintainence costs.

i do not doubt it, tyger. but does my statement not hold true?

Originally posted by maximus
i do not doubt it, tyger. but does my statement not hold true?

But that wasn't what he was asking. He was asking if it were possible to use the ocean's heat as an energy source. Tyger had the right answer. You can exploit it with temperature differentials but at this point the technology makes it inefficent.

Well how about just in general? Why is it not possible to make use of the thermal energy?

Well how about just in general? Why is it not possible to make use of the thermal energy?

your question is so vague it is difficult to answer it all at once. yes, it is possible to use thermal energy. geothermal power plants have the sole purpose of converting the Earth's natural thermal energy into electricity. and as tyger said, so do ocean plants. your body makes use of thermal energy, as well as a cold blooded reptile. basically every engine uses thermal energy in some form. but my above post still holds true. we cannot take the energy from a cooler substance into a warmer substance. this violates the second law of thermodynamics.

If the question is still about the ocean, the answer is still the same - the efficiency would be so low as to make it impossible to get a useful amount of energy from it.

1. What are the laws of thermodynamics?

The laws of thermodynamics are a set of physical principles that describe the behavior of energy in a closed system. They are fundamental laws of nature and are used to understand the transfer of energy and its effects on matter.

2. How do the laws of thermodynamics apply to proving something wrong?

The laws of thermodynamics can be used to evaluate the validity of a statement or claim by analyzing the energy transfer and transformations involved. If a statement goes against the laws of thermodynamics, it can be proven wrong.

3. Can the laws of thermodynamics be violated?

The laws of thermodynamics are considered to be universal and absolute, meaning they cannot be violated or broken. Any statement that goes against the laws of thermodynamics is considered to be false.

4. What is an example of using the laws of thermodynamics to prove something wrong?

An example could be a claim that a perpetual motion machine can exist, meaning a machine that can continuously generate energy without any external input. This goes against the first law of thermodynamics which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed.

5. Can the laws of thermodynamics be changed or updated?

The laws of thermodynamics have been extensively tested and have stood the test of time, so they are not likely to be changed or updated. However, as our understanding of the universe expands, the laws may be refined or expanded upon to better explain the behavior of energy.