Non-linear acceleration in swim cap for data consistency(help)

In summary, the speaker is conducting a project on drag reduction in swim caps and is using an accelerometer to measure the drag coefficient of a buoyant object. They have done 10 tests with the same set-up and release mechanisms, but are having trouble getting consistent data. They are seeking advice on how to process the data and are looking for a common trend in all trials to support their prediction that the hydrophobic/hydrophilic effect reduces the coefficient of drag. They are advised to look at the derivative of their a vs t graph and observe when it is positive, indicating an increase in acceleration and a decreasing coefficient of drag over time.
jeeloong
Dear Experts!

I am currently try to measure the drag of an buoyant object. I did 10 replicates, in general terms 10 tests all with the same set-up and same release mechanisms.

To start off with I will explain my project: Drag reduction in swim cap
First of all I got one accelerometer with buoyant object. This buoyant object is shown in picture. Which I will measure the drag associated with this object (drag coefficient Cd). To do so I get a set of data acceleration versus time in X direction. Then I numerically integrate it to get velocity and again to get time.

The issue I am having is I couldn't get the data to overlap or consistent otherwise it would be pointless to say that ok the hydrophobic or hydrophilic solution that being used for the swim cap is actually reducing the drag.

It would be great if someone could explain the actual way of processing the data. Or if it is an unavoidable issue. It really hard for this problem in my report.

Thanks.

Attachments

• ProfileAccVersusTime.jpg
    ProfileAccVersusTime.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 446
  • ProfileDistanceVersusTime.jpg
    ProfileDistanceVersusTime.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 460
  • ProfileVelocityVersusTime.jpg
    ProfileVelocityVersusTime.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 494
Engineering news on Phys.org
It's okay if the graphs do not overlap. Variation in the data is inevitable. What you want to look for is a common trend that all trials seem to follow. If you predicted that the hydrophobic/hydrophillic effect reduced the coefficient of drag, then you would expect force of fluid drag on the object to decrease in time, which means the net force acting on the object increases in time, and therefore its acceleration increases (i.e. it undergoes positive jerk). To observe this, look at the derivative of your a vs t graph and see when it's positive or simply look at the slope of the a vs t graph at various points. Is there an interval where the a vs t graph is increasing? If so, what does this say about how the coefficient of drag of the object changes in time?

Related to Non-linear acceleration in swim cap for data consistency(help)

1. What is non-linear acceleration in a swim cap?

Non-linear acceleration in a swim cap refers to the speed at which a swimmer's head moves through the water during a swim. It is measured in terms of the change in velocity over time and can vary depending on the type of swim cap used.

2. Why is non-linear acceleration important for data consistency in swimming?

Non-linear acceleration plays a crucial role in data consistency in swimming because it affects the accuracy of the data collected. In order to accurately measure a swimmer's performance, the data must be consistent and non-linear acceleration can greatly impact this.

3. How is non-linear acceleration measured in a swim cap?

Non-linear acceleration in a swim cap can be measured using various tools such as accelerometers, which are placed on the swimmer's head to track the head's movement. This data can then be analyzed to determine the non-linear acceleration.

4. Can non-linear acceleration be controlled in swimming?

Non-linear acceleration in swimming can be controlled to some extent by using different types of swim caps. Some caps are designed to reduce drag and help streamline the head's movement through the water, resulting in a more consistent non-linear acceleration.

5. How can non-linear acceleration in a swim cap affect a swimmer's performance?

Non-linear acceleration in a swim cap can greatly impact a swimmer's performance by affecting their speed and efficiency in the water. A more consistent non-linear acceleration can result in a smoother and more efficient swim, while an inconsistent acceleration can lead to slower times and decreased performance.