Calculating Mass of Acid in Vinegar

• Thread starter majinknight
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Acid Mass
In summary: To find the molar mass of an acetic acid, you would take the molar mass of CH3COOH (0.948 grams) and multiply it by the number of moles in the volume of acetic acid (0.0158 moles).
majinknight
Hello this is my question. Ok I need to find the molar mass of acetic acid and then calculate the mass of acid in the volume of vinegar I used. Now the equation for the lab i did was
CH3COOH + NaOH produces NaCH3COO + H20

The information I have is that the concentration of the sodium hydroxide is 0.20 mol/L, the volume of sodium hydroxide is 79mL, the volume of acetic acid I used was 25mL, I calculated the number of moles use in the sodium hydroxide and it was 0.0158 mol and since everything is on a 1 to 1 basis the number of moles for the acetic acid is 0.0158mol. From that I calculated the number of moles of acetic acid and it is 0.632 mol/L. I calculated the molar mass of the acetic acid by taking the 0.0158 mol of CH3COOH x 60g (the weight of the acid) which got me an answer of 0.948 grams. Now what I do not understand is how to calculate the mass of acid in the volume of vinegar. I may have everything to answer the question here but i just don't know what to do.

Plz Help me!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Originally posted by majinknight
Hello this is my question. Ok I need to find the molar mass of acetic acid and then calculate the mass of acid in the volume of vinegar I used. Now the equation for the lab i did was
CH3COOH + NaOH produces NaCH3COO + H20
Hi Majinknight! Welcome to the forums!

So to summarize: You neutralized 25 ml of CH3COOH with 79 ml of NaOH [0.20 mol/l]

You calculated the number of moles of CH3COOH in your solution: 79 * 0.20*10-3 = 0.0158. You do not have to calculate the concentration of the CH3COOH!

Next, you calculated molar mass of CH3COOH, you do not explain how you did that? I can do it out of my head: the molar mass of C=12, O=16, H=1. Combine that and CH3COOH = 60 grams per mole.

Without knowing it you already answered your own question: "Now what I do not understand is how to calculate the mass of acid in the volume of vinegar".

You multiplied the molar mass of CH3COOH with the number of moles in the volume and that is your answer: 0.0158 * 60 = 0.948 g.

Oh really the question said find the molar mass of acetic acid. Then calculate the mass of acid in the volume of vinegar. I thought that the molar mass of acetic acid was 0.948g, but the molar mass is just the 60grams. Ok Thank You so much.

Yes, the molar mass (mw) is the mass of a mole of a substance

1. How do you calculate the mass of acid in vinegar?

The mass of acid in vinegar can be calculated by multiplying the volume of vinegar (in milliliters) by the molarity of the acid and the molecular weight of the acid. This equation can be written as: Mass of acid (g) = Volume of vinegar (mL) x Molarity of acid (mol/L) x Molecular weight of acid (g/mol).

2. What is the molecular weight of acetic acid?

The molecular weight of acetic acid, which is the main acid component in vinegar, is approximately 60.05 g/mol.

3. How do you determine the molarity of the acid in vinegar?

The molarity of the acid in vinegar can be determined by performing a titration experiment. This involves measuring the volume of a standardized base solution (such as sodium hydroxide) needed to neutralize a known volume of vinegar. The molarity of the acid can then be calculated using the equation: Molarity of acid = (Volume of base x Molarity of base) / Volume of vinegar.

4. How does the mass of acid in vinegar affect the overall acidity of vinegar?

The mass of acid in vinegar directly affects the overall acidity of vinegar. The higher the mass of acid, the more acidic the vinegar will be. This is because the concentration of acid is directly related to the pH level, with higher concentrations of acid resulting in lower pH levels.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the mass of acid in vinegar?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the mass of acid in vinegar. These include the type of acid present in the vinegar (some vinegars may contain multiple acids), the quality and purity of the vinegar, and the production process of the vinegar. These factors can all impact the overall acidity and mass of acid in vinegar.