Non flammable, off the shelf propane like gas question?

In summary, the individual is trying to compress a gas at max 300 psi for a small air tank that will power a turbine to generate electricity. However, they are facing challenges with the small amount of air available and the need for it to run for a minute. They are looking for a cheap, non-flammable gas that can achieve 80 psi. Suggestions include refrigerants, fire protection agents, inert gases used in welding, and using a paintball tank with a pressure regulator.
PauloE
I'm trying to compress a gas at max 300 psi. I'm making an air tank that will move a small turbine to make electricity. The problem, as I found out, is that 1L at 300 psi is not that much air and I need it to run for about a minute. When I fill my tank with air from a compressor, i run out of air rather quickly. I have a constant pressure regulator that I set at 90 psi and that is enough to move my turbine.

I noticed that you can put a lot of propane, or dust blower gas inside a can because they become a mixture under some pressure.

Is there any cheap non flammable gas that I could use to achieve about a minute at 80 psi given the constrains of my tank? ( 300 psi max and 1L)

to clarify: the 80 psi are channeled through a soccer pump adapter like this

Thanks a lot for any suggestion

Engineering news on Phys.org
Refrigerants have such properties, but may be illegal for such use. Some fire protection agents may work. See FM200 (temperature/pressure curve on page 7): https://www.chemours.com/FE/en_US/assets/downloads/pdf_fm/k23261_FM-200_PUSH.pdf

It's a bit below your requirement (though you didn't specify a temperature) and note that the temperature and pressure drop as any pressurized liquid boils, but I'm not sure if beggars can be choosers...

CO2 is another option.
Small tanks can be bought fairly cheap from brewing supply stores.

Likes davenn
You don't mention the flow rate you need.

Several of the inert gases used in MIG or TIG welding would probably work. The big cost would be paying for the initial tank. Since this type of welding has become more popular there are retailer welding stores that have CO2 and Argonne. There is a nationwide chain of stores named Praxair.

Is it possible to actually use propane and run an i/c engine with it ?

Otherwise if just using compressed non fuel gasses it may be better to use a positive displacement engine rather than a turbine

I would suggest argon...its inert and heavier than air. You can buy it at any welding supply store

Assuming you're not set using whatever tank you have, a paintball tank would be a good source of N2 or air,
at 3000psi or 4500psi. Your 1L is equivalent to 60 cubic inch and they come in this size (and up to 110cu inch).
They have standard pressure regulators to get the pressure down to something manageable. You'll need to fill
these at a proper paintball or scuba fill location. Research the safety issues if considering this option.

edward said:
there are retailer welding stores that have CO2 and Argonne
The gas is Argon. The Argonne Forest is in northest France, and is the site of the Argonne-Meuse Offensive in WW I. Argonne can also refer to the town of that name in Wisconsin, or the Argonne National Lab, near Chicago, IL

Likes MexChemE

Related to Non flammable, off the shelf propane like gas question?

1. What is non-flammable propane?

Non-flammable propane is a type of propane gas that is designed to not ignite or catch fire when exposed to heat or flames. It is commonly used as a fuel source for stoves, grills, and other appliances.

2. How is non-flammable propane different from regular propane?

Non-flammable propane is different from regular propane in that it has been treated with additives or chemicals that prevent it from catching fire. Regular propane is highly flammable and can easily ignite when exposed to heat or flames.

3. Is non-flammable propane safe to use?

Yes, non-flammable propane is considered safe to use when handled and used properly. However, it is important to always follow the manufacturer's instructions and safety guidelines when using any type of propane gas.

4. Can non-flammable propane be used in all propane-powered appliances?

It is recommended to only use non-flammable propane in appliances that specifically state it is safe to do so. Some appliances may not be designed to work with non-flammable propane and could potentially malfunction or be damaged if used with this type of gas.

5. How long does non-flammable propane last?

The shelf life of non-flammable propane is generally the same as regular propane, which is typically around 6-12 months. It is important to check the expiration date on the propane tank and properly store it in a well-ventilated area away from heat sources.