Non-dimensionalization of Schrodinger equation

In summary: Yep, it seems strange. But that's exactly how it works and it is the only way to get a consistent construction. Remember that the dimensionless probabilities that would motivate a unit or dimension for the wavefunction is defined as a fraction with the wavefunction in the numerator and the denominator. Any choice of unit cancels there and the probability is automatically dimensionless.Cheers, Jazz
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I had a course of computational physics in university. When the professor wanted to non-dimensiolize the Schrodinger equation, among other things, he changed the wave function using the relation [itex] |\psi(x)|^2 dx=|\phi(y)|^2 dy [/itex] where y is the non-dimensionalized postion ([itex]y=\frac x a[/itex]) and so [itex] \phi(y)=\frac{1}{\sqrt{a}} \psi(x) [/itex]. This seems reasonable to me because wave function has dimension of [itex] [L]^{-\frac 1 2} [/itex] in one dimension. But when I search the internet for non-dimensionalization of Schrodinger equation, non of them do this step. Why? What's the point?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The *projective* Hilbert space structure of QT already makes the Schroedinger equation perfectly agnostic of any choice of unit or dimension. Units and dimensions are just linear factors of the amplitude, which are removed by stepping from vectors to rays. They come only back in if you label your measurement outcomes, i.e. they are a choice of how you map your eigenvalues to arbitrary scales.

Cheers,

Jazz

Jazzdude said:
The *projective* Hilbert space structure of QT already makes the Schroedinger equation perfectly agnostic of any choice of unit or dimension. Units and dimensions are just linear factors of the amplitude, which are removed by stepping from vectors to rays. They come only back in if you label your measurement outcomes, i.e. they are a choice of how you map your eigenvalues to arbitrary scales.

Cheers,

Jazz

I can understand that. But its just strange to think that you can multiply a wave function by e.g. [itex]m^\frac 1 2 [/itex] to get another wave function on the same ray! That seems like treating units as they are complex numbers.

Shyan said:
I can understand that. But its just strange to think that you can multiply a wave function by e.g. [itex]m^\frac 1 2 [/itex] to get another wave function on the same ray! That seems like treating units as they are complex numbers.

Yep, it seems strange. But that's exactly how it works and it is the only way to get a consistent construction. Remember that the the dimensionless probabilities that would motivate a unit or dimension for the wavefunction is defined as a fraction with the wavefunction in the numerator and the denominator. Any choice of unit cancels there and the probability is automatically dimensionless.

Cheers,

Jazz

Related to Non-dimensionalization of Schrodinger equation

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles, such as electrons, in a given system. It is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a certain location at a certain time.

2. Why is non-dimensionalization important in the Schrodinger equation?

Non-dimensionalization is important in the Schrodinger equation because it simplifies the equation by removing unnecessary physical quantities and making it easier to solve. It also allows for easier comparison between different systems and removes any dependence on specific units of measurement.

3. How is the Schrodinger equation non-dimensionalized?

The Schrodinger equation is non-dimensionalized by dividing it by the appropriate constants and variables to remove any physical dimensions. This results in a dimensionless equation that is easier to solve and can be applied to a wider range of systems.

4. What are the benefits of non-dimensionalization in the Schrodinger equation?

Non-dimensionalization in the Schrodinger equation allows for easier comparison between different systems, as it removes any dependence on specific units of measurement. It also simplifies the equation, making it easier to solve and understand the underlying physical principles.

5. Are there any limitations to non-dimensionalization in the Schrodinger equation?

Non-dimensionalization in the Schrodinger equation can be limited in certain cases where specific physical quantities or units are important to the system being studied. Additionally, it may not always be possible to completely remove all physical dimensions from the equation, leading to some level of approximation.