EE with a minor in physics?

In summary: I think that the additional credential will give you a certain advantage over someone who does not have it.In summary, adding a minor in physics to a Bachelor's or Master's degree in EE may not necessarily improve job prospects or upward mobility, but it can provide additional knowledge and skills in a field of interest. It may also give an advantage over other job candidates with a similar level of education.
Script
EE with a minor in physics?

Hello,
I am seeking advice on some school decisions and I figured someone here could help since almost every one her is obviously educated on the subject.

On to my predicament:

Originally I wanted to do joint degrees in EE and physics. That is probably out of the question at this point just because an EE degree is hard enough in its self. I just found out that my college offers a minor in Physics; this would probably be right up my alley.
My question is:
If I got a Bachelors or masters degree in EE and added on a minor in physics would it elevate my carrier potential?
If so how? Ex - Easier to get a job, faster upward mobility, make me shine above the next guy ect...

Thanks for any help you can give.

Script

Engineering news on Phys.org
Script said:
If I got a Bachelors or masters degree in EE and added on a minor in physics would it elevate my carrier potential?
The answer to this question is always a speculation. You can look at it this way: It probably won't hurt your job prospects, and if you are interested in physics, then it won't be a waste of time anyway.

Script said:
Easier to get a job, ...
You may be unpleasantly surprised to find that the process of getting a job depends very little on your aptitude for it and far more on your non-job related job getting skills (i.e. interpersonal networking, writing a good resume, good communication, good interview skills, and the list goes on). If you are concerned about getting a job, then I strongly advise you to consult with your university's career center. That is how I got my hook-up, and I don't think I would have gotten it otherwise. As far as doing the job once you have it, if you are interested in physics, then I would recommend the minor, since that will make it more likely for you to "do physics" once you finally get a job.

Script said:
... faster upward mobility, ...
Again, that depends on where you work. You will probably have "faster upward mobility" if you enjoy what you are doing, regardless of your educational background.

Script said:
... make me shine above the next guy ect ...
I don't have any doubt that this would be true, given two equal guys except that one has physics minor whereas the other does not.

ed response:

Hello, thank you for reaching out for advice on your academic decisions. Pursuing a minor in physics alongside your major in EE can definitely enhance your career potential. Here are a few ways it can benefit you:

1. Diversify your skill set: By studying both EE and physics, you will have a diverse set of technical skills that can make you stand out to employers. This can also open up more job opportunities in industries that require a combination of both disciplines.

2. Develop critical thinking skills: Physics courses often involve complex problem-solving and analytical thinking, which can greatly benefit your approach to engineering problems in your EE career. This can make you a valuable asset to your employer.

3. Specialization in a specific area: With a minor in physics, you can choose to focus on a specific area such as electromagnetism or quantum mechanics. This can make you an expert in a niche field, making you more desirable to potential employers.

4. Graduate school opportunities: If you plan on pursuing a graduate degree in either EE or physics, having a minor in the other discipline can make you a more competitive applicant. It can also make the transition to graduate studies smoother as you will have a strong foundation in both areas.

Overall, adding a minor in physics to your EE degree can definitely elevate your career potential and make you stand out in the job market. It shows your dedication and passion for both fields and can open up more opportunities for you. Best of luck with your academic pursuits!

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and physics?

Electrical engineering focuses on the design and application of electrical systems, while physics is the study of matter and energy. Electrical engineering uses principles from physics, but also includes practical applications and design considerations.

2. How will a minor in physics benefit my career in electrical engineering?

A minor in physics can provide a deeper understanding of the fundamental principles behind electrical engineering, such as electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. This can enhance problem-solving skills and make you a well-rounded engineer in the field.

3. Can I pursue a career as a physicist with a minor in physics?

A minor in physics may not be sufficient for a career as a physicist, as this typically requires a more in-depth understanding of the subject. However, a minor in physics can be a stepping stone towards pursuing a graduate degree in physics or a related field.

4. Are there any specific courses that are recommended for a minor in physics with an EE major?

Some recommended courses for a minor in physics with an electrical engineering major may include Electromagnetic Theory, Quantum Mechanics, and Solid State Physics. These courses can provide a strong foundation in the principles of physics that are relevant to electrical engineering.

5. How can I balance the workload of an EE major with a minor in physics?

Balancing the workload of an EE major with a minor in physics can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively. You may need to carefully plan your course schedule and seek help from professors or classmates when needed. It is also important to maintain a healthy work-life balance to avoid burnout.