Non-deterministic Hidden variables that can't be described by math

In summary, it is a fool's errand to keep searching for interpretations to explain future new experimental data, when we can just focus on the math and work from there.
Blue Scallop
If it is true that the different QM interpretations all make the same experimental predictions, because they all use the same underlying math of QM. That's why they are called "interpretations" instead of "different theories" then it is a fool's errand to keep searching for interpretations to explain future new experimental data, when we can just focus on the math and work from there. But I need to know the following:

1. Are there hidden variables that can no longer be described by math? Why not?

2. As long as that something can affect the physical.. then it should be described by math, right? Is there a foolproof proof of this?

3. In the history of physics.. are there something where it can't be described solely by math? But then love, desire, poetry.. can this still be described by math? This is not a philosophical question but just looking for that foolproof axiom where everything can really be described by math. I don't like philosophy. I only like hard empirical data and theories and experimental evidences.

Physics news on Phys.org
Blue Scallop said:
In the history of physics.. are there something where it can't be described solely by math?
As Deep Thought said when people complained about the opacity of its answer ('42') to the question 'What is the Answer to Life, the Universe and Everything', I think the problem here might be that you are not really sure what the question is. ie, what exactly does it mean for something to be 'described by math'.

I am reminded of a - possibly apocryphal - story of some esteemed physics prof who, constantly asked by students about a theory that explained everything, went to the board and wrote the single numeral '1'.

Poetry, music and other arts express things that we do not have explicit mathematical ways of expressing. But in general they do not describe. Not all human communication has to be description. Indeed, I suspect that very little of it is.

Blue Scallop said:
This is not a philosophical question

It sure looks like one.

Blue Scallop said:
just looking for that foolproof axiom where everything can really be described by math

There isn't one.

@Blue Scallop your questions don't look like questions about physics, so they don't look like they are on topic here. Accordingly, I am closing the thread. If you want to ask a question about physics, it needs to be about physics--either some concrete physical theory, or some concrete experimental result. Asking a question like "are there hidden variables that can no longer be described by math?" is either asking about all possible theories, which is pointless since nobody knows all possible theories, or mistaking objects in a theory, hidden variables, for things in reality. Either way it's not a question about physics. Similarly, asking for a "foolproof proof" of anything means you can't be asking about physics, because there are no foolproof proofs in physics; there are only theories and experiments and comparing them to see which theories work better.

Related to Non-deterministic Hidden variables that can't be described by math

1. What are non-deterministic hidden variables?

Non-deterministic hidden variables refer to factors or phenomena that influence a system or process but cannot be predicted or described by mathematical equations. These variables are often seen in complex systems, such as human behavior or weather patterns, where multiple factors interact in unpredictable ways.

2. How do non-deterministic hidden variables affect scientific research?

Non-deterministic hidden variables can make it difficult for scientists to fully understand and predict the behavior of a system. They can also lead to unexpected results or outcomes, making it challenging to draw conclusive findings from experiments or studies.

3. Can non-deterministic hidden variables be controlled or accounted for in scientific experiments?

In some cases, scientists may be able to identify and account for certain non-deterministic hidden variables in their experiments. However, there are often factors that cannot be controlled or predicted, which can make it challenging to fully understand the results of an experiment.

4. Are there any methods or theories that can help explain non-deterministic hidden variables?

There are various theories and approaches, such as chaos theory and complexity science, that attempt to explain the behavior of complex systems and the role of non-deterministic hidden variables. However, these theories are still being studied and developed, and there is no one definitive answer.

5. How do non-deterministic hidden variables impact our understanding of the universe?

Non-deterministic hidden variables remind us that there are aspects of the universe and natural phenomena that we may never fully understand or predict. They also highlight the limitations of mathematical models and the importance of considering the complexity and unpredictability of natural systems.